Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I was in the market from some waders this season and am torn on what to get. The main one is whether I'll get either a set of neoprene or breathable stocking foot waders. I'm not exactly what you would call a hard core guy so I'd rather be warm then freezing when fishing. I know that during cold days the neoprene would be the better choice but I'll also be using them in the summer and fall when its 90 degrees outside. What does everyone else use mainly for lakes and ponds, not so much high altitude lakes or streams. Thanks :)

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I use NEO myself. I went this way due to the fact I wont be using them all that much and they are alot cheaper. As far as keeping you warm id go with neo. I just wear some flanel pants(pj's) under them when its cold and during the summer I just wear my boxers.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I use Neoprene also... cheaper and kept me warm all winter, and during runoff temps last year. I also use them in the summer but they can get pretty warm. I do alot of backpacking so I am going to buy some light weight waders, but I love the ones I have.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have both. I love my neoprenes when I'm fishing in March, but I wore them to go up the Arkansas when it was about 90 degrees out. I gotta tell you that I have rarely been so miserable in my life. (Had a heat rash for several days afterwards) (I know - too much information - right?)

If I were only allowed one pair of waders they would be breathable. Then layer up underneath. Make sure that what you wear underneath is something that will wick the moisture away from you. I haven't actually worn my breathables in the winter, but I know a lot of people do. They say you just have to "layer up" underneath (I haven't because I have the neoprenes.)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
if it's hot you will love the breatheable ones, if it's cold you will love the neoprene. neoprene in hot weather is miserable unless you are fully in the water.

D

·
0 Posts
I just use the breathable and wear fleece pants and heavy sox underneath. Works great, even with water temps in the 30's and 40's.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have both. I went for years just wearing neoprene and got tired of sweating my but off in the summer. Worth the extra money toi have both.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Breathable hands down! You can layer up under them in the winter. There is no escaping the misery in neos in the summer. Especially if your doing any walking or hiking to get where your fishing.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
neoprene is good for wearing in the summer if you are walking around a lot,that is if you need to lose a few pounds, maybe i should be wearing mine everywhere.

·
Registered
297 Posts
the thought of you guys in a sweaty piece of rubber is enough to make anyone go with breathables( or quit fishing all together). :D :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Derajaman said:
What does everyone else use mainly for lakes and ponds, not so much high altitude lakes or streams. 
If you are going to be fishing mainly lakes and ponds and not doing much walking, I would go with the neoprene.  Otherwise, breathables are the only way to go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Once I bought the lightweight, I quit wearing the neoprene. Even on the Taylor in February! When I use my pontoon boat the lightweights keep you cool. On a hot day the neoprene bakes you. Buy the fleece inserts and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I've got to go with breathables as well (though I own both). It's as simple as this: with breathables you can always add more layers like fleece, long underwear or sweats if you are too cold. However, if you are too warm in the neoprene's, you can't very well start whittling away at the rubber ;D (ok, I know there are 3mm and 5mm versions)...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ive got the neo my self with the built in boots they were cheep and work great with my tube as long as im in the water they dont get to hot but i would not want to walk very far in the summer also the bulkyness makes them a bit harder to get into and out of and i shure dont want to pack those suckers as they are fairly heavy, i plan on getting some light weight breathable waders for packing in and other summer stuff

im all for boot foot waders dont like stocking foot at all, i know they give you better support with good wadding boots but you got to worry about gravel and sand getting in there and wearing a hole in them and boots are slow to dry and just one more wet thing to find a pace to transport back with the boot foot by the time i get to the car the boots are dry and then i just hang the waders when i get home

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Looks like I'll probably go with breathable so I don't bake myself in the summer.

Roadkill: The reason I was most likely going to go with stocking foot was so I can wear normal tennis shoes to the water since a lot of times where I fish requires at least a decent walk to where I want to fish, and then change to wader boots when I reach where I want to get in. I also want to get the felt bottom boots since they provide better grip in the water and are less harsh on the bottom of the pond/lake and I would ruin felt bottom boots while walking to where I want to fish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts