Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some pro advice. I just moved back to Colorado Springs after ten years so I don' know the hot spots. I'd like to take my family fishing but I have total beginners and quantity is more important than quality. I'd hate to get skunked on their first day. I'd like to stay within 90 minutes of Colo Spgs but I don't want to resort to the trout farm. Any help you could give would be great. The more thorough the better. Thanks

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Welcome to the site. Look in the report section. I think Ken lives in CS and just posted a report for a place he fished around there.

-Jay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! Quick replies. I'd really like to get out of town. Make a day of it. I was thinking Brush Hollow, Pueblo or 11 Mile. We'll have to fish from the shore too.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
If the weather stays warm try Brush Hollow, 11 Mile is a great place as well and if you arent catching anything you can always head over to Spinney, if its after may 13th you might want to try rampart res.
If you dont want to get skunked your first time out might want to stay away from Pueblo as to me that place is unpredictable.
In town I agree with Ken Pikeview is easy to pull stocker trout out of, salmon eggs and rainbow powerbait have been working for me and night crawlers for the occasional larger one. I too have caught nothing but trout there but they tell me every species and its mother are in that pond they brought the fish over from prospect when they drained it.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Welcome Archie...

Eleven Mile can be cold and windy if you pick the wrong day in May...something to keep in mind if you want to do a picnic and have little kids...hey guys help me out what are the three lakes up the Pikes Peak road...the Catamounts I think...are they open this time of year and how high are they...

Another choice for beauty is San Isabel which is southwest of Pueblo...by Rye about 80 miles out...8400 feet in elevation...I have not been here but I have heard fish are very willing and it is absolutely gorgeous there...it might be warmer there for a mountain area...anybody been here...one of my friends just loves it...here is a link with pictures...

http://home.earthlink.net/~stromy93/isabel1/index.htm

One I can vouch for but it might be further than you want to go is 90 miles south of Colorado Springs at Walsenburg...Lathrop State Park...cut out of the sage at the foot of some gorgeous mountains...arid and dry...not much driving down on I-25 other than the peaks to the west...but an easy drive...and there are two lakes called Horshoe and Martin...they have a little bit of everything...Horshoe has a ton of trout in it...there is a trail that seperates the two lakes with Horshoe being to the west of the trail....it has many rocky man made penninsulas...I have always gotten a lot of trout here...I think with kids and powerbait or worms it would be ideal...the peaks to the west are massive and it is always warm down there...here is a link to pictures on the state park website...if you poke around you will find lake maps and other information...it doesnt look like much but Martin is a great spot...usually in the 70s this time of the year and dry...

http://parks.state.co.us/photo_gallery/lathrop.asp

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you go to San Isabel, let me know. I grew up fishing there, and my Dad always took us to the same sweet spot. There would be times that it seemed that was the only spot where anyone was catching.

One thing....that area got a lot of snow. It might still be deep.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts