Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a new net. I need a bigger one and want one with a long handle. Similar to a guides net. Rubber netting would be ideal and price is not a deterrent. Any good ideas or recommendations?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Well, of course the brodin nets are awesome, and gorgeous. But they're pricey, about $120 for a long handled one, I think. You can get one of the aluminum ones from bass pro or a similar store for about $30, but I've heard from several people they fall apart before they should. It hasn't happened to me yet, but like I said, I know more than one person that it has happened to. That's pretty much all I got.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dozer! I really like the Brodin nets and that is what I currently have, but it is a smaller size and I want to bump it up a little. I use a boat net for rivers with big fish, but my bass pro special busted after 15 or so trips. It was a pain to lug around too.

Cochise - I like the idea of cutting it down a little!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pete-G said:
Get a Brodin Ghost. That fish you keep catching will love it.
Yeah, he doesn't fit in my current net - I had to cradle him the last time ;D

I was looking at their Ghost Coho. Basically, same size as the guides net, but a 12" handle instead of a 30" handle.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cochise said:
I dont know if they make them big enough for you though.
Cochise - if you had only seen my boat net from bass pro that I just broke it was a little embarrassing to carry around the stream. That thing could have fit Rickabilly's and Sleestak's FOTY candidates at the same time. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
883 Posts
Watcher nets are sick! I have the Guide Magnum Net and it is beautifully crafted and super functional. You should at least check them out.

S

·
0 Posts
Made here in the good ole USA by Allan Stevens in Maine, individually hand built and varnished - SUPERIOR to Brodin and less cost. Why go mass produced .
I had one made with a birdseye maple handle, but they normally use Tiger Maple for the handle - the 28R would fit the bill nicely for ya, same one i have and fits in by belt nicely plus holds bigger fish great :

http://www.stevensnets.com/products.html

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SL - Nice find! Thanks for the link!

Trout those $100 nets just make us ff'ers look cool ;D

Kind of like our $700 rods. haha.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys,

Another question for those of you with the wood nets. Do you use any product on your wood frames to keep the wood from drying out?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
slowdown said:
Troutslayer said:
Guys,
Another question for those of you with the wood nets. Do you use any product on your wood frames to keep the wood from drying out?
im probably wrong because I never read directions, but I've never done that. Just the slim from those pesky trout.
Sillmer just adds character. B as much as we fish in 3 years or less it'll be broken anyhow.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts