Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to Fort Collins from Michigan and I am used to trolling Lake Michigan on my boat for salmon and steal head. I fished one river pretty hard for steal head but we used spinning reels with 9' rods and either spawn, flies, or jigs under a float tipped with wax worms. I remember taking my grandpas fly rod when I was really young out on the lake and catching bluegills but other than that I have no clue how to fly fish. I just took my first trip up to the Rocky Mountain National Park today and seeing the trout streams made me want to jump in and catch some fish. If anyone is willing to take a newbie fishing on a weekend as I work during the week that would be great! Give me some advance notice so I can go buy some gear. I need some advice on a good setup for a beginner also. I get out of work at 5 during the week so if we fish close to Fort Collins that may be an option also. I used to tie my own flies for steal head but that was a LONG time ago. I think I would enjoy learning to tie flies for fishing out here so if you know how to do that also its a bonus. Thanks in advance for any advice on gear and/or any invitations to learn.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Hey New2Town33--Once you get get past the greeting from the Welcome Committee, this is a great site. Perfect time to get here and start hooking some tanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
New2Town33 said:
Well your the first jerk I have ran into since coming out West. Congrats
It happens, I'm new too but I guess I was fortunate enough to have hummus cannonball tell me ahead of time... I dunno how to fly fish either and I've been living in Colorado since like 1994 or something like that :) I know how to do very basic fishing... but yeah... You may be a newb/noob, but I bet you are an expert in something in that someone else is a newb/noob in :D

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
New2Town33 said:
Well your the first jerk I have ran into since coming out West. Congrats
You are NOT out West, you are on the EASTERN side of the mountains. We will just call you FLATLANDER. Kinda bummed SLAYER got to ya first >:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its cool I have been a member of Archery Talk for a long time and know people just like to mess around. Most people are really helpful and I am sure slayer was just ribbing me. I actually found a few people from AT to go fishing and someone sent me a link to another fishing and hunting forum. We had one back home called Michigan outdoors and we had a ton of fishing tournaments and events for charity. We raised a lot of money to send kids with terminal illnesses on hunting and fishing trips. I was hoping to find something like that around here also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used to live in Michigan and fished for Steelhead and salmon in the Betsie, Pere Marquette, Little Manistee and Boyne.
I am way over on the Western side 'o the Hills, but I can help you get started. I know a good beginner stream once you get rigged up with a pole and string!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts