Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I want to get a 3 wieght rod and reel. I want to hear your opinions on what to get. I think I'll have about $300.00 to spend but that could go up or down. I don't really like the idea of a short rod but maybe they are good? Also suggestions for some line would be good. I haven't bought fly line in like 10 years so I don't know what's going on. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have always wondered why guys buy 3wt's in the first place. I have a 4 wt which for 90% of the fishing i do isn't a big enough rod to handle big fish. My 4wt was about 4 times the cost the 5wt i use most of the time so atleast for me it was a waste of money. Now if you are one of these guys I run across that feels fishing a 3wt in rivers like the colorado or up at grey's reef is more sporting I truely believe you do more damage to the fish with a lighter rod.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunatley I do not catch trophy fish every time I go out. I was thinking of getting the 3wt for the times I fish the smalller creeks with smaller fish. An eight inch trout is a beautiful fish it's just on a five weight you are basically pulling it in and there is no fight. I have no intention of using my 3wt on the reef, in fact I recently switched from my 5 to my 7 up there. So does any one have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
"I have always wondered why guys buy 3wt's in the first place. I have a 4 wt which for 90% of the fishing i do isn't a big enough rod to handle big fish. My 4wt was about 4 times the cost the 5wt i use most of the time so atleast for me it was a waste of money. Now if you are one of these guys I run across that feels fishing a 3wt in rivers like the colorado or up at grey's reef is more sporting I truely believe you do more damage to the fish with a lighter rod." -flyfishcolorado

I've often wondered why people tee off on posters here before they know the story. That is why flyfishermen get a bad name, opening their mouths when "fertilizer's" coming out.

But I digress...
I have a 3wt orvis rocky mountain (inexpensive) and love it for small streams and throwing sponge spiders for bluegill. I landed a 7 lb bass and a 5 lb cat on it, but wouldn't suggest it. You can't beat the small rods for small, brushy streams and small fish. TFO makes some good rods in your price range as does Reddington. If you get a Reddington, check the quality (wraps, guides, seat, etc.) first as I've seen it vary rod to rod.
Enjoy it, it's like casting a feather.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a Temple Fork Outfitters 6 foot 2 wt and love it. It's too short for nymphing, but it'll cast dry flies easily on small streems with lots of trees and bushes. It's super light and can make very delicate presentations. It's a perfect companion to my 9 foot, 4 wt, 5 piece Reddington.

It's true that I use the 9 ft, 4 wt most of the time, but there are places that it just doesn't work-- namely short-ish casts with lots of obsticles. That's where my 2 wt is best. I really like fishing small mountain streems, so this is perfect. Normally if the streem is larger than 9 feet across then the longer 9 foot rod is better.

That being said, it is the combination of length and weight that give it some benefit. I can't see the point in having a 9 foot 2 wt, for example. Also, a rod like this is really a secondary rod since you can't reasonably nymph with it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I?m one of those guy that fish a 3wt 80% of the time. I have a Sage TXL and I feel that it is a perfect rod. I used it all over the state and hooked some pretty good-sized fish on it. As far as doing more damage with a 3wt I think using a 5wt with 6-7X tippet has the same effect. You can get a 3wt combo from Cabela's for $380 it includes rod, reel, line and backing pretty good deal. It?s the FT rod and LSR reel. I had the 5wt in this model and was very happy with it. I gave it to my father in law who also thinks it's a great rod.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I have a 3 wt, but i dont fish it alot. it is however, an almost perfect choice for those small streams and ponds up in the mountains. I love catching cutthroats and brookies on it. its a rather short rod, (7 1/2 ft) and if i had to do it again i might go for an 8 footer....just to give me a bit more leverage on longer casts on ponds. for streams when short casts are involved, get a softer rod...it will help in loading line on close up casts. mine is fairly fast, and it lacks in the presention department when i am casting short. look at some of the St Croixs and Scotts, they will fit in your price range....the T & Ts and Winstons are a bit pricey, along with some of the Sage rods.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have the orvis 3 weight superfine. Its a full flex rod, and super sensitive. I use it every chance I get, but conditions rarely justify it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I didn't think I was teeing off on anyone. I personally don't flyfish for bluegills or small brook trout that was my point. I have ran into way too many guys under equiped for the situation they were fishing. I happen to be a reddington fan so make sure you give them a look for your 3 wt.

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
I've always been an ultra-light guy. I use my Loomis 3 wt 90% of the time. I fish either the north platte or high alpine lakes. It is a little small for the north platte but what a blast! Ive brought in several 6 lbers at grey reef on it. I dont fish for small trout or bluegills either!

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
TopSlugger4 said:
damn slayer...some of those fish up at the reef school the hell out of my seven wieght!
I had some of those trips where I was in the "zone". I have other trips where the 3 wt failed me. Or I it?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Maybe I just validated my own rant. And in fact I agree wholeheartedly with you (coloradoflyfishing) about people targeting big fish with tiny leaders, it does the fish much more harm and decreases survivability. My point was that Hatchmaster never mentioned Grey's reef or large fish, just the 3 wt. Some of us, and I trust yourself included, are responsible with our equipment and methods. So let's all give him some good advice and let him support his habit/addiction/sickness. I say get a Reddington, see how you like it and then move up to a better (or just more expensive) rod at a later time.

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
I use a 3wt but my leader is rarely less than 6 lb mono.I dont spend all day draggin 'em in.

·
Registered
691 Posts
About 4 yrs ago my 5wt rod broke and I started using my 2wt. I use it everywhere, including Gray Reef, Spinney, etc. For me, the key is in the leader. I go heavy at the Reef. Probably too heavy - 8lb tippet. So far the rod has held up and I really crank on it. One thing that happens when using the light rods in windy conditions is that you get really good at casting techniques - double haul, etc. Someday I will get a heavier rod. John

F

·
0 Posts
I've been fly fishing for years and concider myself an advanced beginner...If your fishing waters that are known for big fish make sure you're using a decent sized tippet. I know some fly fisherman pride themselves on landing big fish on 7x tippet, but after you catch a few fish that are deformed from tippet wrapped all around their bodies you'll change your mind. Last trip to the dream stream I landed a 24 inch brown that was covered in light tippet. I'm sure he rolled as soon as he was hooked until he snapped the light tippet. Lucky for the fish I was able to cut all the tippet off the fish in time for a safe release. If not that fish wouldn't have made it much longer. Small streams and light fly rods has a charm and its something I love, but light tippets where huge fish are present isn't showing skill as an angler, but no care for the fish that live in the river.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
193 Posts
Alright I'm a tad confused ??? A 2wt rod with 1x tippet? I pulled my 4wt out once on the San Juan and spent a day babying fish because i didnt have enough rod to put nearly enough leverage on them. I don't own tippet under 5x and I've gone to flourocarbon so 4X gets me by most of the time now. I agree with the using too light of a tippet for the first 2 years i fished i used 7x because thats what the guys in the flyshops told me i needed. They definately sold more flies that way. I guess to each his own but it does explain why I spend time watching guys fight average sized fish for what seems to be 2 or 3 times the time it takes me to land a fish.

Fish

·
Registered
176 Posts
Its hard to fish a #24 fly on large tippet. An experienced angler can land large fish quickly on smaller tippet.  Even if they do break off, a conciencious angler files there barbs- so they will spit it out on there own. I've never seen /heard of a trout wrapping in line, I guess it could've been any type of line for that argument.  

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Heres the thing though...I will use the heaviest tippet material I can. BUT...certain situations really do call for 6X and 7X tippet. The heavier tippets have a tendency to create an unatural drift in flies in the 22-24 range. Some places like the reef; fish could care less if you used steel cable. However, much of the south platte...deckers, dream stream etc. makes calls for 6X. I have had several occasions where I was running 5x and as soon as I switched over to 6X it made all the differance. I would still start heavier and then make the adjustment to finer tippet if nothing is crackin.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can definatley understand the argument of fighting the fish for to long on an under powered rod. I am not out to hurt any fish. I just want to be prepared for the conditions I will be fishing. If you say you have no need for a rod smaller than a 5wt then so be it. You get the chance to fish to big fish every time you go fishing. That's great. I spend alot of time fishing over smaller fish and when I hook one and it just turns on it's side and planes in it really is not that much fun. On the subject of tippett I can't belief of anyone not fishing below 5x. WOW! I feel they are missing out. When I first started fly fishing I used 5x only and yeah I caught fish and I caught them on streams where you are not suppose to catch them on 5x. But when I switched it made all the difference. I fish 6x almost all the time and you can give the fish plenty of umph and not worry about breaking. That's not even with floro tippett. $12 a roll! I don't think so. I have one roll of 3x floro for the reef and that is just because I know my chance for a trophy is coming out of that river and I don't want anything messing it up. But hey I didn't mean to start a fight I was just looking for some help on a purchase. Thanks for the input guys I'll let you know what I get.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts