Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after brunch, i walked into rocky mtn outfitters and talked with the dude who runs the place.

he was telling me that they are doing some changes to the regulations on the lakes in the area. one of which is making it mandatory C/R for all mackinaws in grand lake, and at granby... raising the limit to 8, only one of which can be over 22 inches. these will be going into effect first of the year, next year... confirm/deny bernie or Steve?

the guy also said it was to protect the 2000 lakers that live in grand lake (which makes no sense.. didnt the grand county area get an injection of several hundred brood stock lake trout from the saratoga fish hatchery? wouldnt it have made sense to throw them in a lake like grand?)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I'st I heard about a mandatory release for all Lakers at Grand Lake, we do have a slot limit that requires immediate release of all 26" to 36" Lakers that is supposed to change to year round (it came off during the summer months in the past that was a mistaken reg that should have been for Granby only).
Jon Ewert actually wanted to take away the slot limit but I argued hard for leaving it during the State of the fish meeting this past March in Granby and to make it year round like it used to be and should be since it is the only lake in the region with real Lake trout protection, has been there over 40 years, has never been a problem and since they refuse to restock them they need to protect them, finally Ewert agreed to leave it on year round.
The 2000 number is a guesstimation from a tail punching study Jim from RMO is doing backed up by the DPW's population studies from netting operations. No Grand is not getting Lake trout stocked and hasn't for some time, we have been trying to get them restocked for quite a while but Ewert continues to refuse. Jim has been doing a good job trying to help protect what's left.

At Granby the change to an 8 fish limit with only one allowed over 22"s is what was agreed to at the meeting, we are still waiting to see if Jon Ewert will follow through on what he agreed to.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
wouldnt it have made sense to throw them in a lake like grand?)
Yes, it makes very good sense and would be a great benefit to the fishery, the only problem is the fish managers would rather turn one of our last great fisheries into just a generic, carbon copy put and take rainbow fishery.

It's been a tough fight..

·
Registered
157 Posts
This was the first I had heard of the C&R only on Grand Lake so I sent Jon Ewert an email. The only regulation change on Grand Lake will make the slot limit year around, instead of the seasonal slot that is in place. This will become effective 4/1/2015 to coincide with new fishing licenses. There are no regulation changes for Granby.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it makes very good sense and would be a great benefit to the fishery, the only problem is the fish managers would rather turn one of our last great fisheries into just a generic, carbon copy put and take rainbow fishery.

It's been a tough fight..
it's a dead, bludgeoned horse posting it... but I just wish they'd throw some coolwater species in shadow mtn/grand lake like smallmouth, pike or some char species such as dolly vardens or whatever. or at least throw more lakers in grand...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts