Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what some of the new baits people are planning on trying for the first time this year are. They don't have to be new to the fishing indrustry but just a bait maybe you have not used much or one you have had no luck with in the past and you plan on trying to break the jinx.

I am planning on trying some swim baits this year. Not the giant ones you see guys in Cali using just some 3/4 once ones that I can get a little deeper at some of my favorite bass lakes.

I also plan on fishing some deep diving cranks at night. I have never had much luck with them and I think it is because I have not given them a real chance. I am going to test my theory that on some of the more popular lakes particularly lakes with a lot of skiers fishing might be better at night during the weekend.

I have a little different approach planned this year to ensure that I give these new lures a chance. When I go out I will have three rods rigged up on the boat. One with a top water bait, one with a deep diving crank, and one with a swim bait. The only baits I will have on the boat are these kind of baits. That way if I am having no luck I will not be able to change to my favorite lure 15 minutes later. Hopefully that will help make me a better fisherman.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I've been playing around with the roboworm a little this spring-impressed so far. And I'm gonna go back to fishing that old standby-a 3" curltail grub on a jighead. Gotta keep giving those smallies something new to look at.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I'm a sucker for all the lures they push on the fishing programs, and the minute Doug Stange or Al Lindner catches a big fish I have to go out and buy some of their lures. Yes, I know the lure company is their sponsor, but I'm a sucker anyway.

So I have a lot of new plastic baits waiting for the bass fishing to heat up. Gambler Ugly Otters, Yum Buzzfrogs, Zoom Baby Brush Hogs, and some different kinds of Berkley Gulp baits.

So far I have resisted getting any of Doug Stange's Rapala Tail Dancers, but I don't know how long I can hold off. Beads of sweat are breaking out on my forehead, even now....

L

·
0 Posts
Castaic Platinum Swim Bait in 6" and 8" for lunker macks and northerns. I ordered 10 of them for this season.

·
Registered
664 Posts
My goal this year was to fish more plastic stuff and have a rod rigged with plastics at all times (at least for bass...not for trout)

At this point I have had great luck in the early season fishing plastic worms and tubes for bass...in fact the plastic rigged rod has caught most of my bass so far this year.

I have also tried suspending jerks and cranks for the first time this year and Have also found that they're great producers.

I plan on refining techniques with these items for bass through the summer. I also want to get better with skirted jigs and trailers for bass.

By learning these new groups of lures I haven't used my old standby/ confidence lures like normal cranks, spinners, spinnerbaits, etc much so far...but the more options and techniques I develop the more fish I can catch.

My biggest dilemma Is deciding wether to go after browns and bows in the river or LMB in the ponds or SMB and big 'bows at various deep reserviors.

right now the river is winning, that will change as the bass bite heats up.

Life is Good!

·
Registered
38 Posts
this last season i got hooked on flukes and topwaters, but i really want to try some new stuff so this year i want to use jigin-pigs anf the x-raps- they seem close to the flukes.

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
I'm going to fish the usual's this year!

Conquistador makes a GREAT flipping & pitching jig:  http://www.wiredworms.com/
Swimbaits are going to be the same Huddleston & Castaic...
Spinnerbaits...man i'm really liking those Strike King KVD Series...
Cranks...2 words Lucky Craft :) ...ok add two more words to that...LURE RETRIEVER! ;)

i do want to experiment with all the new lines that are out now....
I have all my casting rigs using Cajun line...i love it...very low memory and a nice feel to it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts