Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Elway is a really bad call. He's not a HC. Never will be. He's a HOF QB, that's it. Let him fade into the past. He should be remembered for what he did, not pined for as a saviour. Not gonna happen.

Can't get Gruden or Cohwer. I'd be surprised if either of them wanted this job.

More pressing, we need a REAL GM first. Then put together a plan for moving forward.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Calhoun does have NFL experience, here is an excerpt from the AFA on his bio:

Calhoun came to the Academy after serving as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Houston Texans in 2006. The Texans were one of only two NFL teams to triple their number of wins from the previous year. The 2006 Texans were the last team to defeat the Indianapolis Colts on their way to the Super Bowl championship. On offense, the Texans had the NFL's leading receiver (Pro Bowler Andre Johnson with 103 catches), the NFL's best quarterback completion percentage (68.4 percent) and their quarterback tied a NFL record against Buffalo with 22 straight completions.

Calhoun became a well-rounded NFL coach, working as a defensive assistant, special teams assistant and offensive assistant with the Denver Broncos from 2003-05. He began his NFL coaching career by serving on the defensive side of the ball in 2003. He helped coach the NFL's fourth best defense. The Broncos' defense ranked seventh against the run and sixth against the pass. Denver's defense yielded a mere 17.6 points per game as they made the playoffs for the first time since 2000.

In 2004 Calhoun moved to become an assistant on offense and worked with the special teams. The offense ranked fifth in the NFL, averaging 395.8 yards per game. Calhoun worked closely with Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan in the 2005 season, serving as the assistant to the head coach. The Broncos won the AFC West title for the 10th time in their history and played for the AFC Championship game for the first time in seven seasons. Their 14-4 record was the best since Denver finished the 1998 season as winners of Super Bowl XXXIII. The offense finished fifth in the NFL averaging 360.4 yards per game. The defense was stout against the run, finishing second in the NFL with 85.2 yards per game. Denver finished with an undefeated record at home during the regular season for the fifth time in team history. During Calhoun's three years in Denver, the Broncos made the playoffs every season, averaging over 11 wins a year.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Wouldn't mind Elway involved, but not as HC.

I would like to see a GM first, and then a coach. Somebody from the college ranks wouldn't bug me one bit, but I'm betting they bring in somebody thats strictly a head coach, and somebody that has experience and a winning pedigree. Bet it's Billick with Elway setup as the GM. It did work in B'More and folks tend to forget that Billick did run some good offenses in the 90's with the Vikes.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Gruden's record with the Bucs....Started with Dungy's team..

2002 12-4 - Super Bowl Champions (arguably Dungy's team)
2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7-9 - no playoffs
2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 5 11 - no playoffs
2005 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 11 5 - 1 and done in the playoffs
2006 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4 12 - no playoffs
2007 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 9 7 0 - 1 and done in the playoffs
2008 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 9 7 0 - no playoffs

Why so hot on Gruden?

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I like the idea of Elway in as the president of operations or something like that! GM? I think he is a smart football guy as well as a good business man. He did well with the Crush! The team could benefit from his presence! I would love to see Jim Harbaugh get a shot at this thing. The tie between Harbaugh and Elway is obvious! Harbaugh comes from a great football family. His brother John is doing a great job in Baltimore! Look what Jim has done for the Cardinal! But hey what do I know? :D

Jim

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Elway would be good in the front office but he is NOT a head coach as stated by others. I dont think he has ever mentioned the desire to be a head coach either.

As far as who to get a coach? Hmmmmmmmm.................Jeff Fisher?? ;D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Deuceu72 said:
Elway would be good in the frnot office but he is NOT a head coach as stated by others. I dont think he has ever mentioned the desire to be a head coach either.

Fisher not going to leave Nashville he loves my brothers shop way too much!! ;D

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
HOGMASTER said:
Deuceu72 said:
Elway would be good in the frnot office but he is NOT a head coach as stated by others. I dont think he has ever mentioned the desire to be a head coach either.

He may not have a choice. He might be following Phillips, Chilly, and Mcdaniels! A couple back to back crappy seasons, and a trade for Moss with nothing to show? He might just be available!

Jim

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
baetisrun1 said:
HOGMASTER said:
Deuceu72 said:

He may not have a choice. He might be following Phillips, Chilly, and Mcdaniels! A couple back to back crappy seasons, and a trade for Moss with nothing to show? He might just be available!

Jim
They gave up nothing for Moss other than the guaranteed money that he was owed while a Titan. It was the vikes that traded assets (draft pick) for Moss.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
hobiecat said:
Neither Gruden nor Cohwer are even options for you guys ::)
Reading the Redskins forums....Their fans would like to make Shanahan available...
Extreme Skins may be the best NFL team forum on the web. I love their cheerleader sections. I trolled there a few years ago to pick on my coworker at the time, big skins fan... Haha...

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BabyHuey said:
Calhoun does have NFL experience, here is an excerpt from the AFA on his bio:

Calhoun came to the Academy after serving as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Houston Texans in 2006. The Texans were one of only two NFL teams to triple their number of wins from the previous year. The 2006 Texans were the last team to defeat the Indianapolis Colts on their way to the Super Bowl championship. On offense, the Texans had the NFL's leading receiver (Pro Bowler Andre Johnson with 103 catches), the NFL's best quarterback completion percentage (68.4 percent) and their quarterback tied a NFL record against Buffalo with 22 straight completions.

Calhoun became a well-rounded NFL coach, working as a defensive assistant, special teams assistant and offensive assistant with the Denver Broncos from 2003-05. He began his NFL coaching career by serving on the defensive side of the ball in 2003. He helped coach the NFL's fourth best defense. The Broncos' defense ranked seventh against the run and sixth against the pass. Denver's defense yielded a mere 17.6 points per game as they made the playoffs for the first time since 2000.

In 2004 Calhoun moved to become an assistant on offense and worked with the special teams. The offense ranked fifth in the NFL, averaging 395.8 yards per game. Calhoun worked closely with Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan in the 2005 season, serving as the assistant to the head coach. The Broncos won the AFC West title for the 10th time in their history and played for the AFC Championship game for the first time in seven seasons. Their 14-4 record was the best since Denver finished the 1998 season as winners of Super Bowl XXXIII. The offense finished fifth in the NFL averaging 360.4 yards per game. The defense was stout against the run, finishing second in the NFL with 85.2 yards per game. Denver finished with an undefeated record at home during the regular season for the fifth time in team history. During Calhoun's three years in Denver, the Broncos made the playoffs every season, averaging over 11 wins a year.
But that was behind Shanny! But maybe? Then again he had Elway not Ortanary! Thats the next guy who needs benched! He is a BACKUP!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Shoulda kept Shanny, Cutler, Marshall, and Hillis. You guys would already be locked into the playoffs by now. >:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts