Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to try the new rod Andrew (Koldkut) built. It is a top of the line St. Croix SCV (Legend Extreme and Elite blank) 7' medium fast with titanium SIC micro guides spiral wrapped, minimal EVA foam, and big time cut down Fuji ECS reel seat. Rod came in at 2.92 ounces (Factory croix weighs 3.7 in the same model).
I have read quite a few good and great review on the SCV line and had high hopes for this rod. Unfortunately so far it is a let down.
The action is great, casts awesome, fights fish really good but when it comes to dragging a jig it doesn't hold a candle to my Phenix 7' MH (pretty equal stiffness to the croix). I am using copolmer on it right now but I haven't noticed a huge difference when switching from copolmer to flouro although I will try it next time.
It isn't a dead stick by any means but it doesn't fish like a $180 blank or $380 rod when croix puts components on it. I don't have a ton of time on it yet but I had at least another 2 bites and more than likely 3 and missed them as they dropped the bait pretty quick. I think with my custom Phenix or Kistler LTXII (Changed to micros) I would have felt them sooner.
Time will tell but as of now I wouldn't recommend the SCV blank. Phenix is superior in my eyes and I am wishing I would have ordered another one versus the Croix. Anyways here are a few pics of the few fish I caught and the rod.
Btw the build quality is awesome! He did a great great job on this rod. IMO the best looking rod in my lineup.

Bronze effect added. Pig smb

Smaller one

·
Registered
633 Posts
Man that is a sweet looking rod, as usual from Andrew. Way to go Koldkut. Sorry it doesn't feel as good as you were hoping it would, that always sucks when a rod doesn't meet up to expectations (unfortunately it happens too often). Does it still fish better than most of your other rods?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fishinlooney said:
Man that is a sweet looking rod, as usual from Andrew. Way to go Koldkut. Sorry it doesn't feel as good as you were hoping it would, that always sucks when a rod doesn't meet up to expectations (unfortunately it happens too often). Does it still fish better than most of your other rods?
Thanks Jeff, need to spend some more time with it. Will post a update but so far I like my LTXII's and Phenix more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts