Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  I am going to buy a new deer rifle this year and I am either going to get a Winchester Mod. 70 Featherweight or a Browning A Bolt Medalion in .25 WSSM.  I have owned Winchester Mod. 70s before and like them. What do any of you hunters/shooters think about the Browning A bolt or the 25 WSSM caliber?

·
Registered
988 Posts
I really like the BAR's. They shoot very smooth and little to no recoil. Glad to see a big game hunter here. I'm starting a new site for hunting in colorado and it's bodering states. You should check it out. It's still in the info stage but coming along very well. There will be lots of useful scouting information on big/small game hunting. Send me a email and I'll send you the url. Don't want to advertise here on CF.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
my opinion...ahem...and others might disagree, but you asked for it... ;)

i think you should stick with you Model 70s...they are built on a strong, reliable mauser style action and in my thinking is a better weapon than the Browning A bolt. dont get me wrong...John Browning built a fine rifle and is most likely the greatest gun designer of all time, but i think the Model 70 is hard to beat. the claw type extractor on the 70 just seems to work no matter what---and ive dealt with a lot of bolt guns in my time. ive put probably 10s of thousands of rounds though other bolt guns, (mostly remington 700s..both military and the ones i own) but the ones that sticks out as the most reliable is the model 70. infact, if you look at most modern dangerous game rifles today you will see them built on this mauser type action, its that proven.

but, as with fishing rods--a lot of it is personal preference...so go look at both and take your time deciding. my opinions are more oriented for a military or hunting type aspect, and you might be looking for something completely different. both are good guns, no arguing that...

as far as the round...ive never messed with it. it looks to be a decent light recoil whitetail or antelope cartridge, but i dont think id take that one out for elk...im more of a .30 or larger type guy...

if you dont reload, one thing you might also want to check is the price of the ammunition...sometimes the newer "wildcat" type cartridges can be pricey of you have to buy them by the box....so keep this in mind.

heres some basic info on both, if theres someone out there that hasnt heard of this stuff....

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/wssm25_1119/

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=64209&sid=edeb40c8bd4a6910f7f960216b08951d

http://www.browning.com/products/features/detail.asp?id=3

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rottal,
  I am strictly going to use it for deer and the occasional coyote. I also prefer the .30 cal for elk.  I also handload, so besides the cost of componets, I am not overly concerned about ammo price but that should be a hudge factor for someone who doesn't. I believe a box of the 25 WSSM goes for around 35 bucks or so! I have been leaning towards the Winchester but I thought I would check and see what other peoples opinions were.  Thanks for posting the links.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Rottal,

You've inspired me to finish some of the Mauser projects that I have had going. I bought 3 Charles Daly actions for a steal to build yet some more .308's. Then I discovered fishing and all other hobbies have been on hold. Interesting that you like the Winchester, especially since I assume you have had the opportunity to use the Remington 40X in the military. I have had my eye on a Remington 700 Varmint at Gander that has been on clearance for the past year. I hear great things about them, but personally, I like Savages. I have a 10 FP in .308 and I am sending it in for accurizing because the groups are at atout .75 MOA rather than the .25 MOA I am used to. What can I say, I'm an accuracy freak.

As for a fun alternative to what has been already mentioned, I would consider the Bushmaster version of the AR10. I found one for a steal a while back and it is amazingly accurate for a semi-automatic. Also, it takes FAL mags so I got a 5 rounder to make it legal for hunting (at least I think it's legal as I interpret the DOW rules).

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Yeah, i have the same problem...barreled actions laying about that need to be worked on and put to use...right now as i type this i am looking at a Springfield '03 action...serving as sort of a doorstop in my closet....for shame...

I like Remington 700 actions...a lot...i think its mostly due to the fact im so used to them, and also how easy they are to maintain. i think for a hunting gun though...especially then a second shot might be needed...the Winchester Model 70 is a winner. both have pros and cons, of course, but the next gun i get built will be on a Model 70 action.

.308---one of my all around favorites, both as a deer/lower end elk cartridge, varmint round, and also military cartridge. ballistic wise its close to the more popular 30'06, but has been proven to be a tiny bit more accurate at longer ranges...the .308 is what i mostly shoot, also...for the most part i too am an accuracy freak when it comes to long guns.

Bushmaster makes a great gun---i like mine a lot, and ive definately got some rounds through it...and im gettin another i like it so much---its ok for a 5.56 weapon...

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
It's a matter of personal preference. I've filled tags with Browning "Medallion" A - Bolts in 25-06, 30-06 and 308 and have grown quite fond of the Browning rifles. Great design, no doubt. However, I would really like to pick up a Remington 700 series too. I hear too much "good" about this rifle to miss out on having one.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The .308 rocks. As one old timer I know says, it'll take down nearly any game in North America, especially with proper shot placement. Ballistically, it is awesome. I talked myself into the need for something more powerful. I found a slightly used Savage 110 at Gander in .300 Remington Ultra Magnum. I haven't shot it yet because I'm really afraid of it  :eek:.

By the way, have you been involved in high power match shooting? I've gone to a clinic put on by the Buffalo Creek Gun Club and there are some deadly shots in the club using AR15's. I have always considered the .223 (I only reload .223 and .308 cause I shoot tons of them) too susceptible to wind effects at longer distances, but these old farts are hitting dinner plate size targets at 200-600 yards at their fairly windy range!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
However, I would really like to pick up a Remington 700 series too. I hear too much "good" about this rifle to miss out on having one.

I have a hard time with this also. After all, the Rem 700 is the Army's choice for a sniper rifle and it is the standard by which all others are judged. I like Savages because they are cheap and will probably outperform the 700, but they still have that stigma of being a cheap gun. I'm always tempted the pick up that Remington 700 VS in .308 at Gander Mtn. It's been on the clearance rack for a while. Someone please buy it so I won't get another rifle :eek:.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
yeah, i shot highpower for a few years on a team...and most of the local matches were at Buffalo Creek.  back then it was mostly M1As, M14s, M1 Garands and civilian bolt guns..mostly in .308 with the exception of the Garands in 30'06. but now its more "mouse gun" oriented...(AR15s and such)...which now that they have figured out the right bullet weights to use at with the 5.56 are pretty much cleaning up at all the matches, the 600 yard event included.  i havnt shot competition in quite a few years, but i guess i will get back into it sometime---for now most of the shooting i do now is more of the 3 gun  type stuff, or just CQB type shooting with both pistol and carbine.  in the military weve adopted a more accurized version of the M16A2, (the SPR) which is more like a varmint style AR with a 14x scope to help supplement the sniper side, which has been plussed up since the stuff in iraq and afghanistan has kicked off.  it shoots very well, but is limited to around 6 or 7 hundred meters....

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
1eyeReD said:
It's a matter of personal preference. I've filled tags with Browning "Medallion" A - Bolts in 25-06, 30-06 and 308 and have grown quite fond of the Browning rifles. Great design, no doubt. However, I would really like to pick up a Remington 700 series too. I hear too much "good" about this rifle to miss out on having one.
talk to Ouray, he was looking at a Browning...and you might have some better insight on it than i do, since ive never owned one...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I own a Remington Mod 700 BDl in .270. It has been a great rifle but I thought I would try something different, plus I dont think they chamber it in the 25 WSSM, yet.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have 2 Win Mod 70's, in 30. 06 and 300 WSM. The 06 I used for deer and elk. Especially, for the different weight range of bullets available.. When I purchaed the 300wsm I went with the MOD 70 again, both have synthetic stock, but the 300 does not kick more than the 06. The MOD 70 has worked extremely well in all kinds of weather condtions. I went with the 300 WSM for the longer shots on elk, most definately does the job. Why the 25.06? MAybe calbier preference, but both of my guns have worked extremely well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've shot all of my deer with a Browning A-bolt in .270. Never had a problem with it in fact I think it is one of the more accurate guns in my safe. I do like the shorter throw on the bolt compared to my Ruger but both are good guns. I think it is a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Im sick of all this nonsense of Remingtons, Winchesters, Brownings, Savages, ect ect ect. Heres my favorite deer setup..it works for elk too.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Yeah, but that machine gun in the middle is a 3 moa weapon as opposed to a .5 moa weapon. I wouldn't trust my life with it. :D That's the gist of the conversation on the gun boards.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
lol....belt fed weapons win fights--- you hear the big boomin going on from a .50 cal or see 7.62 tracers streaming around at ground level and your bolt action rifle or 5.56 carbine feels pretty useless, not to mention extremely wimpy...

however, yeah, it aint much for hunting deer...it might rile a few folks at DOW..not to mention the ATF...and every other goverment agency out there ;)

but, for the sake of making you happy Silicone, heres a sub-minute of angle weapon for you...

my old roomate...with the M24.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Sweeeet! By the way, I gave in and bought that clearance Rem 700 VS at Gander. They took $100 off the clearance price! Now I no longer have Remington envy and I can build my own M24. To my surprise, my wife (who hates guns) was OK with it. Now if I could only get that machine gun .....

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
silicone boy said:
Sweeeet! By the way, I gave in and bought that clearance Rem 700 VS at Gander. They took $100 off the clearance price! Now I no longer have Remington envy and I can build my own M24. To my surprise, my wife (who hates guns) was OK with it. Now if I could only get that machine gun .....
"Remington envy" lol...never heard of that term before...

my first Remington when i was 15 was a Varmint Special in .308...and i still have it. its an awesome gun. it will hold .5 MOA with the right ammo---i bet yours will do well or pretty close just right out of the box.

Sounds like you got a good deal. if you want any specs for the M24 you are building let me know, to include some loads that (through much trial and error by some guys in the sniper section of my old unit) have been worked up for long range stuff. im assuming you got a .308...

·
Registered
157 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Rem. 700 action. Excellent gun and you can always swap to a McMillan stock.

I have a 700pss in .308 that makes me look like a great shot. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts