Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New electronics have been out for a while now, just looking for random feedback and opinions. I remember the first time I saw a Lowrance LCX 111c with a 10.5 inch screen I knew I had to have one -- then changed my mind when I found out they were something like $2,000. :eek: Now you can buy one used on e-bay for a lot less. I know there are guys on here who manage to get the latest and greatest. Is the "structure scan" really all that useful? What about that Hummingbird 360 that I heard so much about last year? Were there problems with that or did it turn to be a game changer the way the i-pilot seems to be for trolling motors? ???

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I got my first look at the Lowrance Elite series last week. All I can say is WOW!!!

I love my x67c... its perfect for what I do. But those Elite series with the GPS are freakin amazing
They might not be the latest and whatnot, but they're pretty incredible.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Is the "structure scan" really all that useful?
Game changer. Its been on the market for a few years now, have you not fished in a boat that has it?

Will be upgrading to Gen 2 Touch systems this spring. Will be quickselling my LCX 113 and HDS 7 Gen 1.

Insight Genesis will be an "aha" tool too. All those GPS waypoints where fish have been caught will now start to make sense as to why the fish were there.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Fished with Bernie last summer and he had it, but I didn't see that it made any difference in our fishing that day. (Heck we were catching fish when nothing at all was showing up on the fish finder screens. Bernie's just like that).8)

But yeah, that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Cause otherwise I'm thinking, hey why not scoop up all this perfectly good "older" technology as people upgrade? Sounds like it might be worth it to keep saving up and buy the new stuff instead.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Structure scan makes it a lot easier to, well, see the structure. I've had eureka moments when I was able to literally see why fish bit in certain location. You also get a wider field of vision with side scan. A neat feature of the side scan is that you can put a way point in 2 dimensions (if you see structure to the side you can put a waypoint there vs having to be on top of structure or fish to mark the spot). I've never used the Humminbird 360, but I suppose one benefit is that you might be able to see which direction the fish are moving?

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
I still use a weight on a string- 6 Fathoms, Matey!

·
Banned
553 Posts
Im gonna get the lx6. Love my fl-18 and hate to see it go but its time to upgrade

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FL-18 is nice because you can get a mount and boat transducer kit from Vexilar and use it on your boat in the summer time. Bottom Lock feature is nice to have!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
How well Does the Gen 2 work for vertical jigging?

What does an a HDS get you the an Elite doesn't? I know the wifi functionality only works with the HDS Gen 2. If your not interested in Side Scan or Structure scan is there any advantage to the HDS?

Needing to buy electronics and trying to pick apart the differences.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts

What does an a HDS get you the an Elite doesn't? I know the wifi functionality only works with the HDS Gen 2. If your not interested in Side Scan or Structure scan is there any advantage to the HDS?

Picked up an HDS 5 (Gen 1) from Cabelas for $350 on a clearance special..
It replaced a Lowrance 522IGPS both for My Boat and ice fishing purposes.
I can say the only difference I see is quicker GPS response and quicker updates on the lcd screen....
Both units work just about the same as far as functionality.
If You are familiar with Lowrance, You'll pick up the instructions easily.
I don't care about structure scan, so I'm happy with the GEN 1....
My theory is, the easier to use and understand, the better.... 8)

·
Registered
245 Posts

HDS gives you better display but the side scan is the real selling point for the HDS (over the Elite). Gen 2 is faster and allows you to overlay structure and mapping data. You also need Gen 2 to use the Lowrance mapping software. Don't think it makes a difference for vertical jigging, unless you are saying that you can see better and get on the fish more easily.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Back to the original topic, those with Structure Scan or HB down image, and have also used side scan. Is the side scan that great of a tool? I feel that I would use the Structure scan/DI a lot more than the SI but haven't used either so I don't know.

Input?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts