Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like it is official. $25 fee added to instate boat registrations ($50 for anyone out of state) to support the State's attempt to keep Colorado ANS free.

http://leg.colorado.gov/bills/hb18-1008

I have mixed emotions about this. Hard to think this wasn't coming, the inspections and decontaminations cost money. But all of these fees add up. I already pay to boat in Nebraska and Wyoming. I am sure that Utah is coming as well. This is a National issue, and should be a Federal response.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I’ll gladly pay it if they would open all the smaller lakes that are now closed to boating. We only have 3 boating lakes now here in sw co

·
Registered
483 Posts
I’ll gladly pay it if they would open all the smaller lakes that are now closed to boating. We only have 3 boating lakes now here in sw co
??????? "sw co" ??????
Do you mean Southwest Colorado or somewhere else in the state. I can name numerous lakes here in Southwest Colorado that allow boats. - Just to name a few:

Blue Mesa
Ridgway
Groundhog
Miramonte
McPhee
Buckeye
+ a gazillion up on the Grand Mesa.

Not sure what you are having reference to by "sw co"

·
Registered
206 Posts
Four corners area. We have McPhee, Vallecito, Navajo, and the new Lake Nighthorse. All the small lakes around here closed to boats last spring

·
Registered
483 Posts
Four corners area. We have McPhee, Vallecito, Navajo, and the new Lake Nighthorse. All the small lakes around here closed to boats last spring
Guess I need to do some reading up on the regs if I want to fish any of the lakes other than my normal ones mentioned in my first post. And, actually, I don't have a boat. I still troll around in my 9 foot Bucks Bags pontoon (with no trolling motor) so hope I'm good to go.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Guess I need to do some reading up on the regs if I want to fish any of the lakes other than my normal ones mentioned in my first post. And, actually, I don't have a boat. I still troll around in my 9 foot Bucks Bags pontoon (with no trolling motor) so hope I'm good to go.

Yeah you can still hand launch kayaks and stuff but no trailers or motors

·
P I K E
10,111 Posts
Also to be mentioned this new ANS fee is per boat, not per owner. As I have 2 boats already registered that's $50.00 extra per year so I guess I will not be putting a Bixpy on my yak. I fully agree with the ANS stamp but I'm sorry don't agree with the per vessel rule.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I feel we knew it was coming.
Budget short fall is always the start of getting the public to pay more.
I'll pay but keep the lakes open until ice closes them like before.

The sooner you accept the fact that we, the public are a source for revenue, nothing more the easier it gets.

:)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
$25 Bucks ain't that bad for a resident...
You'll waste more on other crapola that You don't need
Cris sakes, It's $30 bucks in Wyoming for a "non-resident" ANS sticker..
If You've seen some boats from Powell that have been infected...
You'll know what I mean..

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a photo of the outdrive on my houseboat at Powell. Taken this am.

Mussels are nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve seen a lot of photos of then damage the mussels have done. But i will tell you it’s a different feeling when you see them screwing something you personally own. Really hits home when that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
P I K E
10,111 Posts
$25 Bucks ain't that bad for a resident...
You'll waste more on other crapola that You don't need
Cris sakes, It's $30 bucks in Wyoming for a "non-resident" ANS sticker..
If You've seen some boats from Powell that have been infected...
You'll know what I mean..
Nobody is arguing this fee is a bad thing, the argument is the price. $25.00 per vessel is a big hit over other states around us. Wyoming stamp is $10.00 per resident vessel, Nebraska AIS Stamp is $5.00 per resident vessel and Montana AIS Stamp is $2.00 per resident vessel! Why is Colorado AIS Stamp over the total cost of these other states put together? Like I stated for the people with more than one water vessel this is a big hit especially if they have to also purchase a stamp from a bordering state!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Nobody is arguing this fee is a bad thing, the argument is the price. $25.00 per vessel is a big hit over other states around us. Wyoming stamp is $10.00 per resident vessel, Nebraska AIS Stamp is $5.00 per resident vessel and Montana AIS Stamp is $2.00 per resident vessel! Why is Colorado AIS Stamp over the total cost of these other states put together? Like I stated for the people with more than one water vessel this is a big hit especially if they have to also purchase a stamp from a bordering state![/QU

Perhaps the convenience factor for Us in Colorado that adds to the price?
I know if You go to Wyo. You better have a tag on Your boat from a reciprocal state...
OR its a pain in the ass to get an inspection for use on those waters...
Probably the same for Nebraska..?
At least here in Co... Most lakes have an ANS station right there...
Makes it easy...:thumb:

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nobody is arguing this fee is a bad thing, the argument is the price. $25.00 per vessel is a big hit over other states around us. Wyoming stamp is $10.00 per resident vessel, Nebraska AIS Stamp is $5.00 per resident vessel and Montana AIS Stamp is $2.00 per resident vessel! Why is Colorado AIS Stamp over the total cost of these other states put together? Like I stated for the people with more than one water vessel this is a big hit especially if they have to also purchase a stamp from a bordering state!
I think the biggest difference is the level of commitment Colorado has made to the inspections. Wyoming does an inspection at the border or a the entrance to a lake, but you can fairly easily get around them if you choose.

I bought a sticker for Nebraska last year, but I never had to do an inspection.

Our system is far from perfect. I really think it should be reformed. But it is more likely to keep our lakes clean than the other systems.

That said, I think it is a lost cause. I left Powell today, and the girl who did the inspection was on her first day (and I think I was her first boat). Total waste of time as she had no clue what she was doing. I could go on and on, but if it really only take a cup of water from a contaminated boat to infect a lake, I don't see how we will keep it out now that Powell is infected. Too many boats go between that lake and ours.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Maybe they would then be willing and more able to actually open the ramps before light and until dark. Bankers hours at the ramps is some of the rudest dumbassery we have ever been handed from the superheroes the cpw.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The first line of defense is on the boat owner IMO.
You either care or you don't.

Hope for the best because if you do some research you will see the devastation that can occur.

I grew up in Michigan and have family there.
This is where the problem started.
It can get expensive to remove mussels from the plumbing of a reservoir.

:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts