Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting my dad a new fly rod as a thanks for giving me an elk hunting rifle. I'm going to end up getting the better deal, but thought it was be a nice gesture.

That being said I'm thinking about the standard 9' 5 weight. He will be retiring this year and have plenty of time on his hands to get some fishing done. It will probably only be used for trout and the types of streams he would normally fish would be something like the North & South Platte, Blue, etc. Would like to keep the rod itself in the $250 - $300 range. Not in a big hurry to get it so could wait till I see something that catches my eye. Just throwing it out there to see what you guys think. I know everyone has their own opinion.

I also posted about going to the DS this weekend in the other section if someone wants to hitch a ride.

Thanks for input in advance.

·
Registered
434 Posts
How much does your Dad fly fish? Is he new to the sport or has he done it for a while and you are just looking for something a little nicer as a gesture of thanks?

One good option is a Sage Flight, a little over the $300 mark at $350 for the 9' 5wt 4 piece, but a great rod to start out with as well as for someone who has done it a long time. They also make a 2 piece right at $300. I have fished with the 6wt and I really enjoy it, mostly throwing streamers from a raft down the Animas. Its more of a medium fast action and a great all around rod for Colorado.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
explodedlad said:
How much does your Dad fly fish? Is he new to the sport or has he done it for a while and you are just looking for something a little nicer as a gesture of thanks?

One good option is a Sage Flight, a little over the $300 mark at $350 for the 9' 5wt 4 piece, but a great rod to start out with as well as for someone who has done it a long time. They also make a 2 piece right at $300. I have fished with the 6wt and I really enjoy it, mostly throwing streamers from a raft down the Animas. Its more of a medium fast action and a great all around rod for Colorado.
Sage......meh. ::)

;D

·
Registered
883 Posts
Have someone build him a custom rod. You could do it for under $200.00. I think that this is a way better option than getting something off the shelf. You will be able to design everything. If he is way into something you can theme the rod accordingly. Then you may have a little money left for a nicer reel. Super classy gift!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorelips,

Did a little research on that last night and I kind of like that option. I think it would be nice to have a one off like that.

Does anyone have experience with custom rods? All of mine are straight from the manufacturer so I really don't know much about how they may fish compared to say a Sage, Loomis, or whatever. I think I have been condintioned over the years to think a manufacturer's rod is superior, but I'm sure that isn't the case. Also it looks like there are a ton of places to have a custom made. Anyone have recommendations for a good builder?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the offer but I think that would probably end up sitting on the shelf. I would classify him as a guy that likes to flyfish a lot but hasn't had the opportunity to do so much over the years. Maybe only 6-7 days on the water each year so his casting and technique is still pretty limited. I'm looking for something he can develop with once he retires and has the time to just park on the side of a river for a month. I think I will go the custom route, just a lot of choices out there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Grey's (a subsidiary of Hardy) Streamflex is easily the best rod I've casted anywhere near your price range. My normal 5-weight is a Loomis GLX Classic, and the Grey's I tried at a flyfishing show felt a LOT like it.
If you can find one, it should be $280 or less - with a lifetime warranty. ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
There are some guys on www.rodbuildingforum.com who do lots of custom work, but to get a topnotch job, you have to figure the components will run at least around a $100, and to ask a guy who values his time to put in 10 hours or so for under another $100 might be stretching it a bit. You can probably do better with a factory rod if that is the figure you have in mind. Lots of very good rods out there at around that amount.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Custom rods are a good option just remember only the blanks carry the warranty. That means if and when it breaks you cover labor and components.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts