Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I live in Missouri and have never been fortunate enough to visit your beautiful state much less fly fish there. I have a birthday coming up next week and my beautiful fiance told me yesterday that I will be fly fishing in Colorado on my birthday :eek: (yep she is a keeper). We booked a cabin in the Woodland Park/Deckers area and I am looking forward to fishing the South Platte. Ive been fishing long enough to know that info from the locals is priceless and I welcome any advise I can get.
Thanks for taking the time to read

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Cool, man... Have fun.

In the Deckers area, it's a zoo...that said, it's a blast. Here's the thing, at Deckers, you just can't go too small. Size 24 and 26 midges and mayfly nymphs are your friend. 6x is needed IMO.

11 Mile canon is close and gorgeous. The area is just as pretty as you can find and the fishing is fun and not terribly difficult. A small egg followed by a size 22 midge will do the trick. Watch for the trico hatch and if it happens be prepared with some tiny black body trico dries. Fishing the pre-hatch is great too, but it's tough to time if you haven't been there a lot and know what to look for... still, have trico dries with you, that's a fun hatch!

The Dream stream connects 11 mile and Spinney Mountain Res. It's sexy water with big fish. It's crowded and tough to fish, but rewarding. Eggs, red midges and worm patterns are my favorite there...other than huge streamers. Find deep water and use the heaviest streamer you have, especially at sun down.

Last... you are coming right around the time 11 mile and Spinney open up from the ice. You can rent a small boat or perhaps you will bring a belly boat and freeze your nuts... it will be worth it. The ice off bite is redic. Casting to shallow points will produce with wooley buggers and you might get into a pike as well. Not sure if Spinney will be open or not, but 11 mile will definitely be (they may not allow boats that early).

Have fun... I've given you a few gems... a report would be nice!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Oyey. Great info thanks.
I have a kayak but wont be bringing it on this trip. I've been at the vice and tying like crazy since I heard we were going to Co. Mostly flies that are listed on some stream reports from the fly shops in that area midges,mercury black beauty's,pheasant tails,RS2's,beatis emergers , and some sculpzilla's. I have some trico's in the box but will try to get a few more tied before we hit the road. I really appreciate the help thanks again

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Hi Oyey. Great info thanks.
I have a kayak but wont be bringing it on this trip. I've been at the vice and tying like crazy since I heard we were going to Co. Mostly flies that are listed on some stream reports from the fly shops in that area midges,mercury black beauty's,pheasant tails,RS2's,beatis emergers , and some sculpzilla's. I have some trico's in the box but will try to get a few more tied before we hit the road. I really appreciate the help thanks again
No problem. Your choices are all appropriate.. just stay small. some size 18 curved hook pheasant tails (tied skinny af) will be about as big as you need. I usually stick with size 20 and 22 RS2. While you are tying tricos, tie a few with shorter, up wings on a bent shank hook and put a tiny wrap of lead on it somewhere... trail your dry with that fly.

One last thing... most of these waters have good fish in them. There are plenty of 20" fish and some bigger. That said, you are often using size 22-24 flies. I highly recommend staying away from a lighting fast rod. You will pull hooks over and over. A softer, slower rod will land more fish in those tailwaters.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
How long are you here? What days of the week? Does the wife fish, or will she find something else to do? How many days of wifeless fishing?
>:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it's mrs future wifey. lol She's not real big on the fishing she is into the beautiful mountains ,streams and taking photos of the scenery in general. Unless its cold then she will be by a fire or in a store keeping the credit cards hot:-\ Im sure i'll have at least a few hours a day of fishing by my self or maybe a full day or two. After all its my damn birthday:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey bazzanz I dont do facebook but I can only imagine it is show hoards of people standing elbow to elbow in a "trout park" on opening morning waiting for a whistle to blow so they can begin crossing lines with one another. If thats what you are referring to then my spot is always open. thats not my bag ,never has been. We do have some pretty spring fed streams and tail waters that hold some nice Rainbows and Browns. We have some native if you will St Cloud strain of bows but the mdc does restock the browns from time to time as they dont have much success spawnig, althought they do go through the motions every fall.Mo is not known for its great trout fishing by any means but a few of us make the best of what we have and when it works out and we get lucky get to make a road trip to the Smokey's, Appellations or this time your beautiful state of Co;D

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Damn Oyey giving you the goooooods!!!!
11 mile will have open shore line for sure. Can be tough but worth trying if you hit the dream stream
Some river run bows should be in the river but expect a zoo.
Have fun and post a report (unlike others around here)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey bazzanz I dont do facebook but I can only imagine it is show hoards of people standing elbow to elbow in a "trout park" on opening morning waiting for a whistle to blow so they can begin crossing lines with one another. If thats what you are referring to then my spot is always open. thats not my bag ,never has been. We do have some pretty spring fed streams and tail waters that hold some nice Rainbows and Browns. We have some native if you will St Cloud strain of bows but the mdc does restock the browns from time to time as they dont have much success spawnig, althought they do go through the motions every fall.Mo is not known for its great trout fishing by any means but a few of us make the best of what we have and when it works out and we get lucky get to make a road trip to the Smokey's, Appellations or this time your beautiful state of Co;D
Hi CH thanx for your reply & yes, it is indeed the clip that you describe however like yourself I do not "do" facebook either nevertheless the clip opens for me.

Was not trying to be "smart arse" or whatever in posting it was just that I had only recently received it & struck me given you were from Missouri it may have had some significance. Can assure you there was not any "hidden agenda" involved other than the irony that "peace & solitude" are so often touted as being one of the prime benefits gained from fishing.

One correction tho if I may is that altho I have fished in Colorado I am not resident as hail from much further away, ie New Zealand.

If you were interested in reading about the fishing opportunities down this way you could look at some of Andrew Hardings' vid clips at :-

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/5-colorado-fly-fishing/133857-definitely-worth-look.html

Or alternatively my much less appealing personal fishing diaries in the "fishing chronicles" sector of this forum.

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bazzanz No worries man and no offense was taken. Man I've been watching fly fishing vids shot in NZ with envy for a long time. Not sure I would be comfortable fishing in tights tho. Lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Bazzanz No worries man and no offense was taken. Man I've been watching fly fishing vids shot in NZ with envy for a long time. Not sure I would be comfortable fishing in tights tho. Lol
Ballet tights are mandatory if you want to fish down here, as is a diploma of excellence for a performance of "Swan Lake" in order to be issued a fishing licence.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts