Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I moved away from Denver as a kid and I'm coming back for a trip and want information on areas to spin fish for trout. My idea is to stop along a day's travel and fish a couple of hours and move on. I do spin fish where I live and usually use a mepps spinner that I'll cast across stream and get on a tight line- the current is strong enough to "Broom" the line and spinner so it stays at a mid depth and I let the spinner swing like a pendulum so that it passes just in front of a boulder or other likely looking spot. I could use a casting bubble and flies as well.
Heading out from Denver I thought I would stop at the Dam in Silverthorne (Blue) then south of Leadville- some place along the Arkansas (before turning off to Aspen), then the lower Roaring Fork. Also thinking about Thompson Canyon but it sounds like the winter wiped out some of the stream.
Any suggestions or ideas appreciated, not just the rivers but the tackle as well, such as if some other type of lure works better. Thanks. 8)

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
There are times when Super-Dupers absolutely kick ass in high alpine lakes for me-

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Little gold Panther martins or kastmasters.... Cast just upstream from a deep pool, let the Panther drift into the pool, then bring it to life. Depending on the depth of the pool, let it sink a second or two and then get aggressive with it.

Another method on freestone streams is to hit the opposite bank at a 45 degree angle upstream and reel through pools, drift through riffles. If it is a particularly fast moving stream, you may want to increase your casting angle and go more sharply upstream, a little more line.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Don't laugh, but Trout Magnets work on the Arkansas.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Size 8/10 xraps and floating rapalas, curly tailed jigs and small tube jigs...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I have I bet 30 plus of those Super Dupers from my grandpa they have to be 20- 30 years old. Tried one a few times through the ice at the Mile didn't catch anything.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen... the Super Duper thread.

Try marabou crappie jigs. Let me reiterate;

Try marabou crappie jigs.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts