Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. I just recently moved back to Colorado, and the weather has really changed in the time I've been gone. Anyway, I've been itching to get some ice fishing done all winter. Thinking this weekend might be the time, but I haven't seen any lakes really well-frozen in the lower mountains. I didn't see any mention of Chambers in the first couple pages of the forum. So, to the point- what's the closest safe place? I live in Greeley, so something above Fort Collins, Loveland or Longmont would be best. I'd be happy to drive a couple hours to get there if I knew I wouldn't have to turn around and drive back.
On another note- does anybody know of any lakes in this part of the state that have trout AND perch? I've always had good luck catching enough perch to feed a small army with an occasional rainbow thrown in that hit it on the way down or up. Good fun for the kids and good supper ;D.
Thanks for any help,

Steve.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Welcome Steve...

Most of the lakes that have perch in them in your part of the state are thawed...I have heard that Horsetooth in Fort Collins since it refilled and flooded the vegetation that perch are taking off...same thing is happening at Aurora...I havent heard a report on Chambers lately...probably need a snow machine to get into there...Lake John and the Delaneys might still be ok to ice fish for trout and some bigs ones that might be eager...not sure of the ice...you could call Bill and Tish at Lake John Lodge by Walden and they could tell you of ice conditions and fishing conditions at 970.723.3226...good luck and be careful out there!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Chambers is definitely solid with around 30 inches right now, Lake John and Delaneys are around 20" as of yesterday. The Laramie Plains Lakes are mostly all open water so stay away from that direction. Red Feathers area is probably still safe I imagine but mainly just stockers there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts