Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm Seth. I live in Parker and I'm in high school. My fishing experience is probably quite limited compared to the majority of you guys, but I absolutely love it in any form. I wanted to use this introduction to ask a needed question. You see, I've started to pick up fly fishing, thanks to the persistence of an older member in my church. He always pokes fun at my spinning reel methods. In an attempt to sway me to the "true way to fish", he rented me some needed gear and began teaching me some basic technique. I've began to amass my fly collection, and I've done extensive research. However, I've yet to land a fish. I've fished pressured and popular rivers near me, but to no avail. There is a steep learning curb, that's for certain. I ask humbly now for some needed knowledge. I know this question comes with a lot of weight and trust. Few, if any, may provide an answer. In my hour of need, I ask, do any of you know any great, non pressured fly fishing areas? I understand if you don't wish to divulge your secrets. But if you do, I may be able to find the perfect spot to build my confidence, skill, and love of fly fishing. I think the sport needs some more younger guys. We can discuss privately over email if need be. Thank you.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Maybe I can lend a little prospective for you. There is no true way of fishing and any one who tells you that is misleading you. The tug is the drug when it comes to fishing, whether it's on a fly, lure or bait it doesn't matter as long as you get a thrill out of it. There are so many different kinds of fish and types of water to catch them in, that to limit yourself to one method robs you of the joy of learning about all methods of fishing available. I have fly fished for many years and do enjoy it but I will fish whatever method works for any given situation. There is so much to learn about the art of angling so don't limit yourself to one method and one type of fish. I'm over 70 years old and I still learn something almost every time I go fishing, the challenges are never ending.

·
P I K E
10,082 Posts
1st off WELCOME to the forum sethdb88...!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

2nd, Kudos to Leg for the reply! Could not have said it any better, best advice given to a new angler! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

A lot of experienced anglers have stories about those old guys who showed them (us) the ropes. It's awesome that you've found a fly fisherman who's willing to show you the "true way to fish". Now you just have to also find an old spin fisherman to show you the "true way to catch" and you're all set. >:D

·
Registered
280 Posts
Maybe I can lend a little prospective for you. There is no true way of fishing and any one who tells you that is misleading you. The tug is the drug when it comes to fishing, whether it's on a fly, lure or bait it doesn't matter as long as you get a thrill out of it. There are so many different kinds of fish and types of water to catch them in, that to limit yourself to one method robs you of the joy of learning about all methods of fishing available. I have fly fished for many years and do enjoy it but I will fish whatever method works for any given situation. There is so much to learn about the art of angling so don't limit yourself to one method and one type of fish. I'm over 70 years old and I still learn something almost every time I go fishing, the challenges are never ending.
Welcome Seth!!! .... ^^^^ VERY WELL SAID!:thumb:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey everyone! I'm Seth. I live in Parker and I'm in high school. My fishing experience is probably quite limited compared to the majority of you guys, but I absolutely love it in any form. I wanted to use this introduction to ask a needed question. You see, I've started to pick up fly fishing, thanks to the persistence of an older member in my church. He always pokes fun at my spinning reel methods. In an attempt to sway me to the "true way to fish", he rented me some needed gear and began teaching me some basic technique. I've began to amass my fly collection, and I've done extensive research. However, I've yet to land a fish. I've fished pressured and popular rivers near me, but to no avail. There is a steep learning curb, that's for certain. I ask humbly now for some needed knowledge. I know this question comes with a lot of weight and trust. Few, if any, may provide an answer. In my hour of need, I ask, do any of you know any great, non pressured fly fishing areas? I understand if you don't wish to divulge your secrets. But if you do, I may be able to find the perfect spot to build my confidence, skill, and love of fly fishing. I think the sport needs some more younger guys. We can discuss privately over email if need be. Thank you.
Seth, I agree with leg in that there is no "true way to fish" however I think I can help you easily get on fish with your fly rod. To just get experience casting and fighting fish on the fly rod I would take some time this spring fishing leech patterns under an indicator for stocked trout. CPW publishes where they stock catchable trout at https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/StockingReport.aspx. You might need to change the date range to get results. If there is a pond near you where they stock trout that is a good bet. Small bodies of water can sometimes be easier to fish.

I would use a size 12 black, olive, or maroon leech. Beadhead can help get it down or you can use a small split shot 6 inches above your fly. Depth you set your indicator at depends on where you are fishing, if you can try to set it to where your fly is just above bottom or weedline. Tie on your fly using a loop knot. (Google non slip loop knot if you need to learn a good knot).

The technique is simple. Cast it out there and let it sit for a while. If there is wind sometimes the wind pushing your rig around gives enough action. Other times it is dead still, and twitching your line every once in a while (like every 5-10 seconds). Eventually your indicator will shoot down and you will need to simply lift your rod to set the hook. One tip is to make sure that there is not too much slack from your flyline to your indicator so that your lift properly sets the hook.

In my opinion this is one of the easiest ways to catch fish on a fly rod in spring, and can work year round.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Seth! First off welcome. I’d also echo what some others have said in that there’s no “right” way to fish as long as you’re treating the resource with respect! And that’s coming from someone who fly fishes almost exclusively. I grew up spin fishing and transitioned to fly because it seemed like a fun next step. So if you’re interested in switching because it sounds fun, you definitely should! But don’t feel pressured by the snobby fly fishermen who think spin fishing is beneath them.

As for where to go, there are so many places! One of the best places to learn at first is a local bass/panfish pond. Bluegill will eat almost anything, and they’re a great way to start fly fishing. It’ll allow you to practice your cast without worrying about moving currents, and you’ll be able to actually catch some fish (which is pretty crucial if you want to have fun and stick with it). Once you’ve caught some panfish and gotten comfortable with the cast, trout isn’t a huge leap. If you know how to spin fish, you’re already halfway there because knowing fish behavior and how to read water is half the battle. All you’ll need to learn is the actual technique of fly fishing. It’s not hard to find easy-to-catch unpressured trout in the mountains. Most small mountain streams and alpine lakes hold trout, and they aren’t too hard to catch. Avoid the popular rivers listed on fly shop boards, as those trout are usually wary and heavily fished. If you want some specific places to try, I’d be happy to share some. Shoot me an email at [email protected] or through my website www.fishuntamed.com. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Welcome to this forum.

I fly fish and spin fish. They both catch an equal amount of fish. Spin fishing is easier to do but really doesn't catch any more fish than fly fishing. Not any less either.

Hard to tell you where to fish without knowing your location.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Welcome to this forum.

I fly fish and spin fish. They both catch an equal amount of fish. Spin fishing is easier to do but really doesn't catch any more fish than fly fishing.

You must be one hell of a fly fisherman. ;D

·
Registered
413 Posts
You must be a bad one.;D

OP hasn't been back to forum since starting this thread. Don't you hate that?

Yup, I'm a bad fly fisherman, or at least I was for the 2 weeks it took me to buy fly gear, go fishing a few times and then sell it all on CL. The fly guys I fish with suck too, cause they get outfished by a spin rod pretty much every trip out. >:D

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
You gave it two whole weeks? Do you give up on everything that easily?

Fly fishing on creeks and rivers. Spin fishing on ponds and lakes.

Neither method is hard. Just different.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You must be a bad one.;D

OP hasn't been back to forum since starting this thread. Don't you hate that?
Normally I would agree. Cutting the OP some slack though since he is a High School kid. Probably actually staying busy instead of slacking on fishing forums while he is supposed to be working like me... haha.

Depends on time of year and what species, but either fly fishing or spin fishing can be more ideal in any given scenario. For example I am way more confident in my ability to catch Crappie on my flyrod than my spinning gear, but it is hard to beat a Senko for Bass, even though I do catch a few on my flyrod.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The south slope rec area has great fly and lure only fishing. However, you must pay $20 and secure a permit to fish from the city of Colo.springs park and rec. 2 lakes; Mason and Mcreynolds. Cutthroats only.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts