Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

New Here

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  TroutFishingBear 
#1 ·
Hello everyone -
I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say howdy to everyone. I live in Pueblo West, CO, 5 minutes from the Arkansas River, and spend about 100 days per year on the water...and yes, I do have a real job (2 actually).

I've been seriously flyfishing for about 3 years now. I use hand built graphite rods made by my good buddy Blaine Brown and Redington and Okuma reels.

Once I figure out how to post pics, I'll throw some up from the Arky and last spring at Spinney. Tight lines, Bill

#4 ·
Alright, I've studied this until my head hurt....how do you get photos up?  All I get when I push the 'insert image' button is this:
and I can't seem to get anything to work. Little help here. Thanks

#5 ·
YOu need to host the picture on a site first, the 2 best seem to be http://www.imageshack.us/ and http://www.tinypic.com/ Once you have the picture hosted there, just copy the "direct link" and paste it in between the img tags:
Look something like this
Code:
[img]http://tinypic.com/jzbpro.jpg[/img]

#9 ·
fishhunter said:
Thanks! That's a Spinney fish from last spring
I recognized those hills in the background... but that looks liks a casting rod. :p

#11 ·
fishhunter said:
Oh no... a 9 wt. fly rod with full sink line. I caught that fish on an egg sucking leach.
I seen some big ones caught out of the spillway with leech patterns, got to love them big browns.

#16 ·
Baja - At Spinney in the spring, I use a black or dark olive egg sucking leach pattern fished on full sink line. I let it sink to the bottom and then use a lifting retrieve, picking the leach up in long strips and then let it settle back to the bottom before picking it up again. It seems to work really well.

On the lower Arkansas, you should be fishing CDC midges in 20 - 22, beadhead peacock midge nymphs in 22, size 18 WD 40s in black or olive, size 16 lightning bugs, or size 12 olive wooly worms.

There has been a great, dependable midge hatch every day at around 10 in the morning, and it'll last for several hours. I'll still catch fish on the midge patterns up until 2 pm.

You may also want to use a BWO in 18-20 with an emerger pattern, an RS2, or pheasant tail dropper. The BWOs tend to hatch on cloudy days or when it's snowing, and then it can be fast and furious on just about any stretch of the river.

Also, since the 'bows in the river are starting to get loaded with spawn, a size 16 - 18 red copper john will soon become the hot pattern. I'd start fishing that within the next 3 weeks or so.

Hatchmaster - Yep, that's a rubber boat - a fishking - with an electric trolling motor. It works great on Spinney, but the wind plays the devil with you. As long as the batteries stay fresh, I can fish for about 3 - 4 hours on one 12 volt in a pretty good chop, but if it starts howling, it becomes a battle to get the stupid thing back to shore!

BigRed - Bring on those caddis! Early April is gonna be the time for the river around Parkdale!

#19 ·
Baja- No problem. The lower river is awesome right now and the weather makes for some excellent dry fly fishing. It's usually really good until early May when it starts getting too warm and the rafters and canoers and weeds start getting too thick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.