Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while I am down here I need to get myself prepared for being back in the Rockies. I traded up from my little 14' with a 50 to a 17 CC with a 90. This will be a perfect high country and lake Powell boat.

I had the 2006 90 rebuilt as it was in great condition but I wanted a new motor but not the weight of the new 4 strokes. At 250 lbs this motor is light, easy and fast.

Bottom is painted and sides are sanded to 600, next dry spell will spray it white.

Just added the electronics and T-Top now need to mount the bow mount troller. Seeing as it is a hurricane day I will plan on hitting the water tomorrow, just finished the 5 hour break in and now need to get another 15 on it for the final tune up.

Dinner time!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Congrats I love them things...fish all the way around...no obstructions...spray it out at the end of the day with a garden hose...barefoot comfort when it is warm...

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Great looking boat-I'm sure it will serve you well.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Nice boat, I would put a larger t-top as it's no fun fighting for a little bit of shade, lol.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Is that a Key West? I have a 1720CC with the same 90 Yamaha. 2003. Still fishin' it, only on the Gorge instead of in the Keys. It was starting on the first crank at -10 a few weeks ago. Floats skinny for a CC too.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Is that a Key West? I have a 1720CC with the same 90 Yamaha. 2003. Still fishin' it, only on the Gorge instead of in the Keys. It was starting on the first crank at -10 a few weeks ago. Floats skinny for a CC too.
Jeez, how many boats does a guy need to catch lake trout?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Jeez, how many boats does a guy need to catch lake trout?
A good guide needs two, of everything. Equipment, especially boats and marine equipment, will always fail at some point, especially when being used 150-ish days a year in conditions from -10 to 90+ degrees. When someone books a trip with me, and there's any mechanical issue, I have a fully-equipped second boat at the ready. Just happened to need to use it several times this past season, and put a couple of 40+ pounders in it too! Nobody ever lost a day of fishing because I have a back-up for everything. Truck, boat, sonars, trolling motors (I have 3!), rods, reels, etc etc. Its a good guide's responsibility.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
sounds like good business practice to be prepared. I know a guy that has a thule roof box, no skis in that box, minnekota terrova , had electric go out to many times now carrys a spare....... LOL.....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sorry, I just had to poke the bear. Backups for the backup make sense to me. :thumb:

Congrats on the new boat cochise!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is a 1996 Cobia 174. Rebuilt the inside and floors with a new fuel tank, hoses and wiring.

Red, the T-Top came with the boat and I do not like it. It is history soon, building my own top as my neighbor just got a bender (yay for me).

Bob, I will be coming back, but only as a snowbird! I will always have a place down here. Mamma thinks we are to far away from family. Really?

I am trying to think of names for the craft, she was nameless when I got her so I am thinking...

International Harvester!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Sweet rig! How do those flat/inshore boats handle the waves? I am seriously considering an inshore rig when I pull the trigger on my next boat. I plan to migrate south at some point within the next 12 years, so it probably makes sense to buy a boat that I could use in the salty stuff later down the road. I hate carpet in a boat too. This looks pretty appealing to me:

http://www.mako-boats.com/boat/?boat=3811

1 - 19 of 19 Posts