Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for the "new ice" effect on fishing to occur a second time? A spot that I like was partially open last week. Full lid now and getting thicker each day.

Does the "new ice effect" have to do with a transition between food source A and food source B, or does it have more to do with temperature and metabolic activity based on that temperature?

I guess I'm wondering if this new cold snap and fresh ice will cause a second frenzy.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Really good question man. I was wondering about this myself.

I would like to see something scholarly on the topic. I would be surprised if there was much, if any, actual research in the area. I mean cold hard (lol) science, not conjecture or anecdotes. I have some ideas, but they fall rather heavily into the "conjecture and anecdotes" camp; so I will withhold them. My ice fishing experience could fill a thimble.

Real ice anglers, people who live and breathe this stuff, are hard to find in Colorado. There are a few "self styled experts," but the ice season here, even on a cold year, is short compared to the north. So Colorado producing heaps of anglers with a deep understanding of winter limnological processes is unlikely.

Even so, as many who are afraid of science will cheerfully point out, "lore" can sometimes be of use.

Thanks for posing such an interesting question.

SS

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks swimbait, and I hope to find an answer!!

I wont be able to test it this week, unfortunately, but I will research and give it a shot next week. I have to hit up Middle Park on Tuesday, but might get to that metro spot on Wednesday... might learn a thing or two. What I know about ice fishing could fit in the palm of your hand, so every experience is a leap forward. ;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm not an ice fisherman, but reading reports of fantastic fishing at the start of ice and then slower action come February and March makes me wonder what role oxygen depletion plays in the ice season.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Late season ice is when the walleyes become easier to target, at least that has been my experience in the past. They are prepping for the spawn. Idk about other species.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Opry this is a great ?.
I can say this. First ice is nice. And to have it twice a season must be awesome. Never had this happen. Above post is true. Oxygen has big stuff to do with decreased activity as season. goes on.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
We need somebody with a great deal of knowledge concerning fisheries, biology, and hydrology to answer this question for us.

Anybody?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Is it possible for the "new ice" effect on fishing to occur a second time? A spot that I like was partially open last week. Full lid now and getting thicker each day.

Does the "new ice effect" have to do with a transition between food source A and food source B, or does it have more to do with temperature and metabolic activity based on that temperature?

I guess I'm wondering if this new cold snap and fresh ice will cause a second frenzy.
It didn't at a spot I hit last weekend. Fishing was slow.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
So wouldnt they go into depression since ice off causes a rush supposedly with increased warmth and wave induced oxygenation fishy buzz?

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Just like the guys with boats on this forum. ;)
I went into depression before I owned a boat and winter came...over the years I have caught far bigger fish walking shorelines...big fish come shallow to eat little fish...some of us just miss summer...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts