Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last weekend coleman and i were invited down to Santa Rosa fish with friends from N.M. we arrived there friday afternoon and found a place to buy our licence in Raton, the town we went to had nowhere to buy a licence. we went out to see the lake, it is a very nice lake, state parks there cost $ 5.00 per day to use the ramps. Sat. morning found us waking up to 1/4 inch of ice on the boat. we put the boat in and soon found 8 crappie and an eye and a SMB, then on Sun. it was bright and sunny, the wind blew each day but on sunday the crappie were willing and we boated 17 before we had to pull out and drive the 85 miles to Ute lake.

at Ute we had a trailor to stay in, that was nice and we did manage a fish fry one night. the first day we caught 5 white bass and a 22 inch eye, on tuesday we woke up to a heavy fog, so out we went and caught 10 white bass a 16 inch eye that was legal in N.M. and a nice crappie. wed. it was clear and sunny with no wind and the fishing was better when we put 17 white bass and another 21 1/2 inch eye in the boat.

we sure had a good time fishing with our friends, but 5 full days of fishing sure plays hell on a couple of old retired fire fighters so it will be at least 3 days before we will be out again. another thing, when you fish new water it pays to use cheeper lures, we lost many lures, mostly Rogues with a few Rapalas thrown in. For those of you who will be fishing Ute if you don't already know, there is a resturant there called the annex, they have BBQ to die for as well as ribeyes that will melt in your mouth, but be sure to leave room for the cobbler

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Nice goin' Byron!! Sounds like a good time..

D.J.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
That does sound right nice. Sounds like a pleasant change o venue for certain. Wishin I could do some of that. Got a buddy with land n a trailer in NM, might have to check it out.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like fun!
Any pics?
Water temps?
[/quote]

we had a great time. unfortunatly no pics, coleman is the only guy i know who gives a camera a 300 mile trip with a dead battery

water temp in both lakes was 47-48 deg

we were a month early there were almost no place open that relied on fishermen for support. even the tackle box where we stayed was only open when we checked in and he was there when we left today

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
walleye seeker even the tackle box where we stayed was only open when we checked in and he was there when we left today [/quote said:
Are Bob and Maria still running that place? Nice folks. Have spent many a night playing cards and puttin a few back with Bob.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
walleye seeker said:
we had a great time. unfortunatly no pics, coleman is the only guy i know who gives a camera a 300 mile trip with a dead battery

water temp in both lakes was 47-48 deg

we were a month early there were almost no place open that relied on fishermen for support. even the tackle box where we stayed was only open when we checked in and he was there when we left today
what the old fart isn't telling you... being the first mate on his boat would be rough on a 19 y.o. middle linebacker! i had all the hot batterys run up my arse to try to keep up with tying on his new leader and reeling up multiple deep rigs when he'd drive us up into the bushes every 5 minutes :D
was a great trip anyway and i caught 95% of all the fish 8)

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[]

what the old fart isn't telling you... being the first mate on his boat would be rough on a 19 y.o. middle linebacker! i had all the hot batterys run up my arse to try to keep up with tying on his new leader and reeling up multiple deep rigs when he'd drive us up into the bushes every 5 minutes :D
was a great trip anyway and i caught 95% of all the fish
[/quote]

it was more like 59% of the fish but who had 2/3 of the lines out, not me. and who caught the 2 biggest eyes, me. also who is going to eat all the crappies and most of the eyes. not me. everyone knows that you tend to streach the facts and you have selective memory.

yes dave they still run the place

·
Registered
902 Posts
Wow Byron, you are firing up the old memory banks. I have some fond memories of that area and haven't been back since the drought. I should take some time and go back.

·
Registered
902 Posts
That was my favorite. The bays behind Big Island and Cedar point were probably my favorite places in late April and early May. They are probably dry now.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Nice trip Byron...Sounds like it was great to get out of town and push the spring time envelope...I've never fished in New Mexico. Looks like a good time.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Great report WS-I've always loved fishing Ute. I'd fish it alot more if it wasn't a 5 hr drive.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thanks for the report WS. I never have fished Ute but i used to go to Conchas early every year. Ive caught a lot of nice Eyes and Bass out of Conchas. To bads about the water level at Conchas

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the crappie were 8 to 30 feet deep and caught on jig head and worm, jig head and salted frozen minnows, most were caught on a trolled 2 1/2 inch lure like the flicker shad in many colors as we lost a lot of lures

1 - 20 of 20 Posts