Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I headed down the New Orleans for 4 days with some friends that turned out to be a big drunk spree. The weather was in the 50s and that is pretty cold for down there the guide said it was one of the coldest trips he has done. I was supposed to fish two days but one of my friends broke his foot a week a go and he said he could not fish a second day. We went down there with four guys we paired up the first day one guy that was good with a rookie and the next day me and the other guy were going to team up and put the hammer down but that could not happen due to his injury. So the other three guys did not want to fish the second day so I was pretty bummed. The boat was out of my budget so I could not go buy my self but I said oh well and we just partied. Fishing was good I caught six reds but I spent most of the time helping my friend out if I was fishing by my self it would a 20 fish day. The food was great and so was bourbon st. tons of good bars to go to. We stood out to 3-4 am each night but now to the bad part. Me and my friend kept our credit cards in our jackets and we left them on a bar stool to go get some drinks and someone stole them from our jackets. We did not know that until the next mourning because we were using cash that night. They racked up 700 dollars on my card before the credit card company caught on but my friend credit card company was smarter than mine and they locked his on the first shot. They charged 600 at Walgreens come on who in the hell can spend that much at Walgreens. Over all the entire trip went great just be careful going down there it could get real scary there if you make a wrong turn. Now to the pics.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Wow man... BULLS!!!! I am mad jealous... I shoulda gone, just didn't find out in time that I could. Sucks about your cards, that place is notorious for pic pockets. GREAT fish man, GREAT!!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all my fish were caught on a fly. my friend that I was fishing with was using a spinning rod. He broke off two huge one that were in the 25-30lb range. I am pretty sure this will be a every year trip.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Tight work on the reds Tony. Did you try the spoon fly or what was hot?? I will be headin for Texas Feb-Mar and targeting reds and big spec trout. If anyone is going that way let me know. Will be in the Corpus Cristi area and south fishin the flats.

Tightlines to all--Vinnie

·
Registered
48 Posts
Those reds are kinda addicting aren't they? Nice fish, and sorry about the cards.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
Nice fish! Why would you go down there without at least a few hardcore fishermen? Fish all day, party all night. Damn I wish I was 25 again! :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
Skip the partying! That's when stuff goes missing. It's party enough getting into those reds. they can make your reel scream in a hurry.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the fly I used any fish that came close to it shot after it the other group had a bunch of refusals even with a spoon fly. I hear that Slayer my next trip it will be by my self and I don't have to worries about some one pulling there weight. The guide was Capt. Barrett Brown who put me on fish but I did have a few problems with him. He poled way to fast when we were in the fish and I had to tell him many times to slow down and really offered no advise I just paid him to take me where the fish hung out. My friend that has never fished with a guide said how come we did not just rent a boat. When I told him I could not fish with the next day he did not talk to me one bit I offered him 300 to fish by myself and he looked at me as if it was an insult. The other guys had a guide that did not put them on as many fish but they were very happy with him I should have asked him to take me out the next day. I did post what flies i tied ifor this trip in the fly tying section So here was the fly of the day

·
Registered
904 Posts
Very nice ! Worked down there for a year on the wall, but worked 6 nights a week and slept on the 7th. Used to see those big bulls under the work lights, but could never fish them at work !! Sounds like a great trip, excluding the 1/4 !!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Now Anthony ....Let me get this straight...You first bought a fly rod on sale for your trip without telling your wife...You then went to New Orleans and spent One Day, out of four, fishing, and Every Night out partying on Bourbon Street.

Then, your credit card gets stolen...turning up $700 dollars in "unwanted" charges ::) :D Yet...thankfully you still had enough cash to keep on partying...

And now... you're planning annual future trips to New Orleans...all by yourself...

You sir...have one very understanding wife.... :D :D

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do have an understanding wife but when I was in the military I was gone a lot. So it is no big deal when I take trips for a few days. The credit card thing made her a little hot because it happen to me last time when I went to Costa Rica also but the credit card company will refund my money so I am not worry about it. I will not take a trip to New Orleans by myself that would be crazy but I would like to put another trip together for next year to go there. I am going to Mexico next year with the family and I get to sneak away for a day to go fishing. You can't things like that ruin your trip life is to short to worry about the little things.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts