Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught me a fat slob of a fall wiper this morning.

My dad and I had originally planned on going to 11mile so I could get some pike on my new swimbait rod that Andrew made for me. But the weather decided to be retarded so we had to cancel as we didn't want to be in 30 degree cold windy snow in the boat. So we stayed local so i could try to get a wiper on the new rod instead.

Got out at 7am and started casting. Luckily, on the 5th cast with my new rod and reel. I hooked into a swine on topwater. Nothing like a mid-fall topwater wiper to test my abilities. I am very happy i had the big rod because it felt like I was reeling in a damn halibut.

30" and fatter than any wiper I have ever caught. Must have been really chowing down. Never seen such a large fish look like a football. 15.1lbs and a new personal best.

The water temperature was 62 degrees so I felt lucky to get a beast on topwater. For the most part, the fishing sucked though. For the next 3 hours, we caught 2 fish. One 14" bass on a jerkbait and a tiny 9" walleye slabbing in 30FOW.

We tried topwater, jerkbaits, jigs shallow and deep, slabbing, trolling, crankbaits, spinnerbaits...etc etc. Fished main lake points, shallow coves, cliffs, etc. Pretty much covered it all. The fishing just sucked. The weather would have been nice but for the 25MPH (at least) sustained winds that plagued us all morning.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sswan said:
The amount of big fish you catch is ridiculous--I'm envious.
:D :D I prolly catch no more than the next guy......I just fish a lot. At least 3 or 4 times a week. If you can't kinda figure it out after fishing that much, then you should prolly find a different hobby hahahaha

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fishful Thinker said:
Sweet fish- congrats! What topwater did it bite? CL
Fish hit a spook Chad. Been catching them all year on spooks. Also been fishing poppers too a bit.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Sweet fish man!! True pig
Glad you broke in that rod and reel

1 - 20 of 57 Posts