Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

me with a small gill- 10.5". Nice pic dad!

decent largemouth, 15-16" maybe ??? can't remember

largemouth by my dad

A monster 12 1/4" bluegill. (sorry no tape measure...before I knew you wanted one)

Nice fat 2 lb. largemouth. Hooked deep with senko :(

To date my 2nd biggest largemouth of the year, ~ 3.75 lbs.

a bit above average largemouth

We have even more pics of MONSTER bluegills on another camera and also my big bass (4.25 lbs based on length and girth calculation!) I caught yesterday

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
NICE!!

:eek: It's ok, no tape measure needed for the pic of that gargantua 12 incher! I can only dream of catching a bluegill of that size.. Fish on, brotha!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 1eye. I can only dream of getting lakers and wipers like you and your gf do so that makes us even I guess ;)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
TFB you should try using a fly rod for them gills, nothing is funner then landind a 2lb gill on a fly rod. Great fight.
Those are some nice looking fish BTW.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ePiC said:
TFB you should try using a fly rod for them gills, nothing is funner then landind a 2lb gill on a fly rod. Great fight.
Those are some nice looking fish BTW.
Thanks. We started using flies last week for them and we've increased our catch a great deal. I'm not using a fly rod though. Yesterday my dad's friend used one and had a blast. He would hook one of the big gills and it was really bending his fly rod a lot. We've been putting the hammer on them using cricket flies. Today we went and bought some popper flies.
BTW if any of you come over to the west slope and want to get in on this action I'll give you guys the info and maybe tag along if I have the time

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
man nice fish havent seen gills like that in a lota years, makes me want to take a trip over to the west slope. i'll be headed to the durango area this fall and before that maybe 3 weeks from know going to CA via I-50 to I-70 dont supose either of these trips would put me in range of some giant gills?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
That is an awesome bluegill your dad is holding! Did he catch it on an ultralight? That would be fun.

Dan

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan said:
That is an awesome bluegill your dad is holding! Did he catch it on an ultralight? That would be fun.

Dan
I wouldn't dare use an ultralight on one of these...if they get you in the weeds (which they do fairly often) then the fight would be over. Heck its over a lot when they get in the weeds with medium action. The cool thing is that is just an average bluegill.

roadkill, if you are on I-70 and you go through debeque canyon you will see an exit (I think 49) to collbran. Turn there and go through plateau canyon. Turn left at the sign that says vega reservoir and collbran. Keep going past the mogansen ponds and it is about 3 miles until you see a sign that says: Jerry Creek Reservoirs. There is a little dirt road and you turn left. You then park in an area and make the hike. Reservoir #1 is the best.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
roughly how many hours off I-70

thanks

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
actualy how many hours from grand junction ill be comming up 50 into grand junction if its not too bad i might be able to double back

thanks again

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
roadkill said:
actualy how many hours from grand junction ill be comming up 50 into grand junction if its not too bad i might be able to double back

thanks again
45 minutes

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
thats not to bad might have to give it a try i see there is no camping there ill be on the road is there any free camping areas i could crash the night near there? just sleeping in the back of the truck i usualy crash at walmarts but the grand junction one doesnt like that

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's all sorts of places. There are several pullups off of plateau creek (the creek you see as you turn off of I-70) and these work well and are no more than 15-20 min. from jerry creek and maybe 10 min from the interstate.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Other rules you must follow:
no body contact of any kind. (even if you wash your hands or rinse them off it is against the rules)
No firearms of any kind
No alcoholic beverages (the sign doesn't say this but they chew you out)
No pets
Catch and release only on all species
no camping
no icefishing
no boats
A million others I forget.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yeah i kinda noticed all them rules but hey where else you gonna get shot at consistantl large gills like those?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nowhere else in colorado and nowhere else in the united states that I am aware of has a 10-13" average size bluegill. You get a few smaller than that though, and a few sometimes even a little bigger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts