Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fished a new spot for me. Got a handful of smallies in the evening...kind of disappointing. Nothing big and no pike. But I’m spending the night in the area and I’ll be back at it in the am. I got one on a deep diving rapala craw crank and the rest on a craw colored lucky craft crank. I also tried swimn caffeine shads and jerkbaits...and a cotton Cordell super spot. I saw a bunch of people throughout the day and only saw one person catch one fish the entire day, although most people were just dunking worms, it seemed. The scenery is amazing and I loved hiking around. Did a ton of moving around and covering water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
I know them rocks. They're deeeeep this time of year.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I fished pretty deep with paddle tails and other stuff but all the smallies I got were relatively shallow at low light. I think the bite is kinda slow right now but who knows...In certain spots it took sixty seconds for my lure to hit bottom. I was fishing deep enough that I got this perch and his stomach was blown out when I brought him up. I wish I had fished it earlier this year. I’ll be back in the fall

·
Registered
553 Posts
Never knew that Reservoir had perch in it. I know it has decent smallies. Nice catch. Someone told me once there was even lakers in there but might be a fisherman’s tale. :p

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never knew that Reservoir had perch in it. I know it has decent smallies. Nice catch. Someone told me once there was even lakers in there but might be a fisherman’s tale. :p
No, that’s actually true. According to CPW, they died out though.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Ive caught lakers, browns, bows, kokes, splake ,cutts, pike, perch, smallies, suckers.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Ive caught lakers, browns, bows, kokes, splake ,cutts, pike, perch, smallies, suckers.
Bad ass slayer bad ass! I've caught a skunk everytime I've gone there. But i wasn't a good fisherman 6 years ago like I am now. I loved the hike there though. Anyone know how far back i can go there? How long is that g arm?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bad ass slayer bad ass! I've caught a skunk everytime I've gone there. But i wasn't a good fisherman 6 years ago like I am now. I loved the hike there though. Anyone know how far back i can go there? How long is that g arm?
I dunno exactly how far you can walk but there’s definitely a decent amount of shoreline available. And I’m sure hat very few people walk as far as they can. Most stop right at the entrance. If you’re gonna go, I’d wait for it to cool off a bit. The bite was tough. I’ll even go with ya or you can come with me at some point. It closes September 30 so I’d like to start fishing it early September and go a few times

·
Registered
553 Posts
I dunno exactly how far you can walk but there’s definitely a decent amount of shoreline available. And I’m sure hat very few people walk as far as they can. Most stop right at the entrance. If you’re gonna go, I’d wait for it to cool off a bit. The bite was tough. I’ll even go with ya or you can come with me at some point. It closes September 30 so I’d like to start fishing it early September and go a few times

That would be awesome man, you can't count me in. I'll pitch in for gas! I agree about the hot temps, that red/orange rock gravel can sure produce heat.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
That place is a toaster oven. But it fishes well when the T-storms come in the afternoon.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That would be awesome man, you can't count me in. I'll pitch in for gas! I agree about the hot temps, that red/orange rock gravel can sure produce heat.
Cool man. Let’s get out in September

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Sounds great! Lipless cranks and jerkbaits work ok? Or do you think I should pick up a handful of blade baits?
You should be good with cranks and jerks but it’s always good to have a lil of everything in my book. I usually carry around a good assortment of jerks, cranks, lipless cranks, a couple blades, swimbaits and spinners....and a bag just for plastics. It looks like it’s raining every day up there for the next week. Hmmm....

·
Registered
553 Posts
I’m tempted to go this weekend but Pueblo is always money when it’s raining
Are you mostly free on the weekends to fish? I work Mon to Friday and can only go on Weekends usually. Unless i take a vacation day. Which I definitely will in sept and October.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts