Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might be well aware, they are building a new lake in Parker called Ruder Hass Reservoir (spelling?) Anyway, Im going down into the hole on a tour sometime in the next week. I think it will be really cool to see how they begin to create a reservoir and all that goes into the construction of the dam. The lake is supposed to hold more water then chatfield, so its definetly no small project. From what I hear, its going to be very deep rather then sprawling in order to lose less water to evaporation. I'll try to get every bit of information I can as to what the plans are for fishing, species, when it will open etc. I hear its going to take about 5 years to fill since they are pumping all the water in. If anyone has any more information on this new local resrvoir be sure to post it!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The planned reservoir is called Rueter-Hess and they expect it to cover about 1200 Acres. The Corps of Engineers has not approved the plans yet.

The Denver Post says,
"To fill the reservoir, Parker plans to mix wastewater with fresh water from Cherry Creek, natural drainage and, in dry years, existing wells. Castle Rock plans to mix its wastewater in Rueter-Hess and re-use it."

Sounds like they might have some "big browns" in there. :)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
anyone have the lat/lon for the dam so we can check out the topos of the future res

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my brothers are computer wizards and they no of some site where you can get satelite pics of the construction. I'll see if I can get them to put a post down on my behalf that could send yall in the right direction.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Make sure you take your camera (preferably video), and if possible a handheld GPS, on your tour so you can locate all the structure 5 years from now. I know I'd pay top dollar for old pictures of Chatfield before/during construction! Will they allow boats on it after completion?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would imagine they would allow boats....from the sounds of where the water is coming from, I dont think keeping it clean will be top priority

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well guys I made the trip out to the construction site today and got a tour from a contruction manager and a guy in charge of the water. WOW, may I say what a project! I have never seen so much dirt moved in one area, and they are not even close to even think about filling the place.

Ok so here are some facts about the new reservoir.

They will begin filling it in 2009-2010 and they don't expect it to be full until 2015.
Some of the water will come from sewage. However, the water is treated to the point of drinkable quality.
When full and all stages are complete, the lake will cover 1,200 surface acres and be 170 feet deep in the deepest part and average 60 some feet in depth.
As for species, they aim to keep it primarily a warm water fishery.
Since it will be a drinking source, there will be no powerboats allowed.

Off the top of my head thats all I could really think of. If you have any questions just post it and I'll try and think if I asked the same question or answer it.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
TopSlugger4 said:
Since it will be a drinking source, there will be no powerboats allowed.
I would rather hear, "Since it will be a drinking source, there will be no sewage allowed." Somehow, power boats seem like the lesser evil, to me. I would rather drink water behind a power boat than behind Mrs. O'Leary's cow. :)

Or Mrs. O'Leary herself, for that matter.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If coloradofisherman ever has its own TV show you will need to be the 1 minute comic relief on the show....better yet you should start writing articles for the magazine, just find something that could be funny and build on it...your great at it!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
1200 Surface acres would make it about 1.5 times the surface size of Cherry Creek (some 800 odd acres) and the storage capacity would be even higher with the proposed depth of the reservoir.

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts