Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got a chance to give my new rod and reel a test run last Friday after the first cold snap had abated. The ice on the river had relented enough for me to get out and wet some line. I was not disapointed! My new rod is a TFO pro series 9ft. 5wt. and the new reel is a Lamson Guru 2 with SA GPX wf 5wt. line. All I can say is wow! I have been using an archaic Cortland rod and bottom of the line Ross reel for the past 6 years or so and the difference is night and day. The rod is so effortless I can't believe I didn't get this rod sooner. The reel is so smooth and lucky for me I hooked a really nice bow and got a chance to see the drag work like a dream. I have never had such a nice set up before. The fish made a few nice runs and the action on the rod and reel was liquid smooth. I landed the fish and was smiling ear to ear. I'm looking forward to a very fun and productive 2011. I know there are more expensive and probably better pieces of fly fishing equipment out there, but this set up is all I need. Seems to suit me fine. Thanks for all the advice on rod, reel and line I got from forum members. It made me make the right decision.
Tight lines and loops!
PH

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Super cool PH... that set up is all you will ever need... Technology may move forward, but it will be tough to beat that set up, especially for the price... about as good as you can do. Killer bow, I'm jeleous.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
yeah, you can catch fish with any ole Mal-Wart crap, as those with Mal-Wart crap will often loudly observe,
but nice gear is just a joy.

Enjoy that stick, you earned it!

Cheers!

SS

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Well done. Lots of folks could learn a thing or two from you! A person doesn't need to spend top dollar to catch fish! What you have is perfect! Again, very well done!

P.S. I was on that same river years ago when I was introduced to the next step up in quality gear! That was where it really began for me. Awesome place! :)

Jim

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JASON_CO said:
why wait so long for new gear...i'm just sayin"? ;D
I know, kept spending on boots and waders which never last. Might as well duct tape those up and spend on new rod and reel I figured. So I get a little damp, big deal. Looking forward to the next thaw so I can get back out there. Don't have a tail water near by to fish. :mad:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JASON_CO said:
where abouts are you where it isnt a tailwater within an hour or hour half of you?!
I'm in FoCo. There is always the Big T below the dam, but it gets too crowded. Other than that there ain't much. It's fine though. When the river is frozen I chill and work more. As soon as the ice comes off I hit it hard until it freezes again. The other problem I have is that I have two small kiddos and my wife also works so I don't get to leave town very often to fish anymore. I'm thinking in a few years that will change.

·
Registered
110 Posts
baetisrun1 said:
Well done. Lots of folks could learn a thing or two from you! A person doesn't need to spend top dollar to catch fish! What you have is perfect! Again, very well done!
You can also have alot of fun with a $100 hooker, but there is also something to be said about spending your time with a $1,000 call girl..... Scott rods = my high class gal

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
abarbs30 said:
baetisrun1 said:
You can also have alot of fun with a $100 hooker, but there is also something to be said about spending your time with a $1,000 call girl..... Scott rods = my high class gal
If that's who you want to be, so be it! No skin off my back! I promises I can do things with a $100 hooker that many try with a $1000 call girl. It's all about how you use it! :eek:

Jim

·
Registered
198 Posts
abarbs30 said:
baetisrun1 said:
most fly fishers don't know the difference between a high end rod and a lower end rod. i myself prefer a fast to mod fast $100-$200 rod. and am pleasantly surprised by lower priced offerings ;D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice fish, Mark - a shade over 20" I'd say, judging by your new outfit. (mine's exactly 10" from butt to forward edge of cork; I'll bet yours is the same.)
Nice to know they're still in there, and that this one didn't get cooked! ;D

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks man. There aren't a lot of fish that size in there and I always release. I'd love to catch that one again. I was thinking of putting a "hero" mark on my new rod at 20" just to be a bit more accurate. I think she was close to 20. Definitely one of the biggest fish I've caught on that stretch of the CLP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts