Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to catch a big laker this year. I have only ever hooked two big ones in my life and both got away. I have probably caught 1000 macks but the largest only a mere 24" 6.5 # out of ruedi this past season. I feel that a longer rod (around 42" or so) that is made out of about medium graphite would be a good choice because I heard the lakers won't get away so easily with a rod that can drive the hook yet support runs. Does anybody here build rods and could build me an ice rod that would support the previous information? I am willing to pay fairly good money for one.

D

·
0 Posts
I'm looking to build something similar. The problem I have had is finding good quality tip tops that have a decent diameter. Most are not made for ice rods and the inside diameter of the hole the line goes through is so small that you're likely to spend a fair amount of time breaking the ice out.

I looked all over Denver and all over the internet about this time last year and never did find anything that would work that was decent quality.

Bass Pro opens its Denver store tomorrow and I'm hoping maybe they will have some components that will work.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i believe that fishing looney builds custom rods for people, he has built a couple of poles for one on my buddies, don't know about ice fishing poles though, pm him, the worst he can say is no..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thorne Brothers professional graphite spinning is medium heavy action and 42" long. However they will make a custom rod to fit your exact specifications.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Don...

the inside diameter of the hole the line goes through is so small that you're likely to spend a fair amount of time breaking the ice out.
I thought it was me...all of these ice rods in stores have micro sized guides...not everyone fishes indoors...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I bought a Thorne Bros Pro glass rod for Lakers and Pike. It has just the right combo of sensitivity and flex to handle big fish that surge at the hole. Thorne Bros is the way to go, but they are a bit pricey compared to most ice fishing products.

D

·
0 Posts
Neal/CO said:
I bought a Thorne Bros Pro glass rod for Lakers and Pike. It has just the right combo of sensitivity and flex to handle big fish that surge at the hole.
Thanks, Neal-

I don't know why I had never searched for Thorne Bros. on the web. I had certainly heard of them before. I think I may give one of those 42" rods a shot. Why did you pick the glass over their graphite, if I may ask?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
So if I choose a braid or low stretch mono I can really put the wood to a fish and not break my line or rod! When you think about it, you are only going to have 20-30 feet of line out anyway, the glass rods are more than sensitive enough at that distance. Plus thats just the way I like to fish for everything, very aggressive. I just don't have the patience for finess techniques. I use graphite if fishing for walleye and trout when subtle is the ticket?

If I can make it to the get-together you can see a glass rod. I think you would be surprised at how light and sensitive it really is!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I have the 36" and I think I am going to get a 42" also. But i have alot of leverage with 36" when Pike fishing

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that's it I'm gonna suck up and by a thorne bros.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
TFB,

These are a less expensive alternative. Good hook set, no problem with ice in the guides, sensitivity is excellent - if you don't have your gloves on.

We call them Keppi or Geobu, a hand line.
They are fun, nothing but you the line and the fish.

·
Registered
879 Posts
TFB, I was at Pro Bass Shops yesterday and and they are carrying a 42" ice pole. Can't remember the brand name but it went for $30.00. It was medium to heavy weight. I know that you are on the western slope but just thought you would like to know.

B

·
0 Posts
TFB, Jeff Looney makes a nice rod for lakers, he is a new member on this board.  I started making my own a couple of years ago since I could not find what I wanted, it is a good hobby and you can make what you want. Don't be surprised to pay $75 and up for an ice rod,. I just bought a st croix avid ice rod in 32" hvy to see how they are and it is a nice rod but the handle is a little small, the throme bother rods are ok but I think Looney can build you better a rod for the same money.  I also have a couple extras if you would like to check them out send me a pm....

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
don almost hate to let this out but i found some outstanding made in america ice fishing rods up at bennets in berthoud. i think if you saw them youd like them. dont know there exact length but there quite a bit longer than your standard ice rods and come in a varity of weights. i also use my grandfathers old telescoping fiberglass rod just for lakers. its a interesting rod in that it can lock down any where from 36 inches to about 60.ill look up the name of it im sure you can find it on ebay.

B

·
0 Posts
Don, I bought one from Bennets a couple of years ago, they are made from the Eagle Claw yellow fiberglass blanks like they use on the big trolling rods. While they have ok backbone they are not very sensitive, they run about $30 if I remember correct.

B

·
0 Posts
with all this talk of ice rods I cleaned out my rod rack and put 3 laker ice rods on the for sale page if anybody is interested....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here is a good web site for blanks, guides and handles.

http://877icefish.safeshopper.com/144/cat144.htm?186

They have multiple tip top choices upto 10mm hoop diameter. You could easily replace tiptops using a match and a glue stick. Rod building (especially ice rods) is easy to learn, quick to do. Many local shops can give instruction, or if you live near centennial, I don't mind giving some rod building pointers.

tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts