Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new fisherman here. I have a question about a new rod purchase. I live near stagecoach reservoir and as you know, there are some large pike in there.

Could someone recommend a rod for trout, that will also handle a pike if I hook one?

I mainly fish for trout, so I have been looking at ML, or M Fast/XF 6'6 t 7' rods
4-10 or 6-12 pound test rating.

Thanks

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
More info needed! Spinning or baitcaster, casting or bait soaking, what baits if casting are you going to throw? Also what's the budget and do you mind a yellow rod? :biggrin1:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Depnds on what size lures you plan on throwing...... You can catch good sized pike on a 5wt fly rod with 4x.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL, remember this rod is mostly for trout. I want a spinning rod, my budget is 150 or less
Will be using spinners like PM, Mepps, lures like Rapala Original, Countdown, Berkley power bait

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
****, for that it's buy a cheap POS eagle claw rod for 30 bucks and spend the rest on beer and booze.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
On a budget...I'd recommend a medium Berkley Lightning rod and a Pflueger President reel for around a hundred bucks.

You want to toss swimbaits..you'll probably want several different rods.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan on getting a Pike specific Rod in the future for larger swim baits and such , the 150 or under is just for the Rod, I can go another 100 for a reel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, man I thought people were going to be suggesting rods like St Croix, G Loomis, Cousins, Daiwa, Shimano, etc...

I was preparing myself to spend a small fortune

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Lol, man I thought people were going to be suggesting rods like St Croix, G Loomis, Cousins, Daiwa, Shimano, etc...

You don't need to do that until you start throwing swimbaits..Just one of the reasons I don't toss large swimbaits.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
On a budget...I'd recommend a medium Berkley Lightning rod and a Pflueger President reel for around a hundred bucks.
Dido what Hobie said. I have several Berkley Amps and have landed plenty of large fish on those $40 rods. They have great action for working light lures as well.

Can't go wrong with Pflueger reels either.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts

OK, go get a St Croix, G Loomis, Cousins, Daiwa, Shimano, etc... Don't forget Dobyns, Megabass, Evergreen, and Jackall. :biggrin1: Looks like you'll be throwing mostly light tackle. For below $150, I'd take a good look at the Shimano Compre. Maybe a 7 ft in MH action. You won't need the MH action for the lures you are throwing but if this is for pike, I'd get it in case you decide to throw slightly heavier lures. St Croix Premiers are OK too. The new G Loomis E6X felt pretty good in my hand if you are willing to spend a little more.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My II Cents

Shimano Compre. My personal fav. rod. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
OK, go get a St Croix, G Loomis, Cousins, Daiwa, Shimano, etc... Don't forget Dobyns, Megabass, Evergreen, and Jackall. :biggrin1: Looks like you'll be throwing mostly light tackle. For below $150, I'd take a good look at the Shimano Compre. Maybe a 7 ft in MH action. You won't need the MH action for the lures you are throwing but if this is for pike, I'd get it in case you decide to throw slightly heavier lures. St Croix Premiers are OK too. The new G Loomis E6X felt pretty good in my hand if you are willing to spend a little more.
For sure, Dobyns Savvy is on my list, the rods I have been looking at are:

13Fishing Omen Black
Daiwa Tatula, Procyon
Fenwick HMG, HMX
Lewis Speedstick
Phenix Maxim
Dobyns Savvy
Powell Diesel, Inferno, Max 3D
St Croix Triumph, triumph X, Premier
Elk River Customs ER1

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
From that list Omen would more than likely be on top...
Screw Croix rods
Dobyns Savvy lacks sensitivity from what I've read but I do like their swimbait rods.
Power make a solid rod but have never fished the diesel series.
Phenix makes awesome awesome blanks.... Maxim is new and I've never seen one.
Shimano used to be a no brainier but with the warranty changes the hell with them IMO.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
From that list Omen would more than likely be on top...
Screw Croix rods
Hater! :biggrin1: I love the ergonomics on the Avid and Legend spinning rods. Don't care for the rest of the lineup. But people like their Premiers and it's in the price range.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Boon just hates st Croix cause they wouldn't give him a discount. He's a gear queer.

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
I use a couple Gander GSX ELITE 40-ton in Medium for my blade rods. Got em on sale for $75 each. Things freekin rock for their purpose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Alright, budget went up to 200 or less, LOL. Wife is feeling generous. List has changed

Dobyns Savvy
Daiwa Tatula
Powell Inferno, Max 3D
St Croix Premier, Avid
ALX Shake, Trickster, Maestro

1 - 20 of 53 Posts