Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Lol, man I thought people were going to be suggesting rods like St Croix, G Loomis, Cousins, Daiwa, Shimano, etc...

I was preparing myself to spend a small fortune
OK, go get a St Croix, G Loomis, Cousins, Daiwa, Shimano, etc... Don't forget Dobyns, Megabass, Evergreen, and Jackall. :biggrin1: Looks like you'll be throwing mostly light tackle. For below $150, I'd take a good look at the Shimano Compre. Maybe a 7 ft in MH action. You won't need the MH action for the lures you are throwing but if this is for pike, I'd get it in case you decide to throw slightly heavier lures. St Croix Premiers are OK too. The new G Loomis E6X felt pretty good in my hand if you are willing to spend a little more.

· Registered
3,945 Posts
From that list Omen would more than likely be on top...
Screw Croix rods
Hater! :biggrin1: I love the ergonomics on the Avid and Legend spinning rods. Don't care for the rest of the lineup. But people like their Premiers and it's in the price range.

· Registered
3,945 Posts
I always wonder why all the hate on St Croix? They seem to make a good product, American Made, Lifetime Warranty, Easy Replacement Procedure.
Sensitivity is what I heard. I think that's particularly true for the casting models which tend to be stiffer than rods of comparable power rating. It's less of an issue on spinning rods.

With your newly increased budget, I'd take a look at the G Loomis E6X. When I handled it in store, it felt a tad bit better than the Avid.

A review by Tackletour: http://www.tackletour.com/previewgloomise6x.html

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Loomis is another over priced for what you get... I haven't felt the new one though. If you do loomis get the GLX or NRX.
He's gonna have to fork over an extra $200 at least for those models. Unless he's a savvy shopper... Then it might only be another $100+. The E6X is better than old GL in that price range. I might even pick one up as my next rod.

· Registered
3,945 Posts

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Just took another look at the GSX online. I remember now why I overlooked it last time: the foregrip is too short. That's where I hod my rods...

· Registered
3,945 Posts
I think I'm still missing something here. You said you are a new fisherman looking for a rod that's primary purpose is fishing for trout and you're planning on spending $300 dollars on a rod and reel combo. I don't know...I just don't get it?
Maybe he has deep pockets? For the wealthy, the question is not "why" but "why not?" :biggrin1: Seriously, $300 for a combo is not unreasonable, and I am not in the "why not" class. People buy $1,000 combos like you and I buy walmart t-shirts... :biggrin1:

· Registered
3,945 Posts
I just picked up a St. Croix "Triumph" spinning rod at Sportsmanship Warehouse for $89. Two piece 6'6". They also had one piece. I absolutely love it, and was blown away by the price. I have it matched with a Pflueger President. I have used this jigging and trolling. It's a little light for trolling, but for jigging/casting it is great! In the past I have bought cheaper rods, and I break them like crazy. I'm glad I spent the extra dough for a quality rod. Better than going through three rods, spending the same money, and after a season having nothing to show for it because they all broke!
St. Croix Premier ML 7' paired with a Shimano Sahara 3000. Total=$200.

This has been my go-to rod for EVERYTHING the last 12 years. The 3000 has a large spool for hucking long distances. Caught several 10-lb pike on it, a 13lb mac from shore, browns to 8lbs, all on 6lb mono. Works large tubes for macs and tiny tubes for perch equally well.

Not stiff enough for working blade baits or ripping jigging raps.
Haven't you two heard that St Croix are just crap! :biggrin1:

· Registered
3,945 Posts
They don't know what great is if you haven't used it :):cool::cool:
Truth be told, I reconsidered my affinity for St Croix after reading you and Kenny trashing them. I still like them for the ergonomics and I don't need that much sensitivity for how I fish. However, when I buy a dropshot rod, it will not be a St Croix. I don't drop shot much or fish much in a way that requires that much sensitivity.

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Am I "wrong" for using "Shakespeare TIGER" spinning rods & reels from Walmart?? Three different times I bought them on sale for $15 to $20 bucks. The worst thing about them (aside for not feeling much nibbling) is the SH!+ SPRINGY LINE they come with!

Any recommendations for a nice castable line that don't go BOING! and make a tangled mess while trying to bring in a fish?
Whatever floats your boat... :thumb: Line: I liked P-Line Floroclear in my mono days. Moderately priced and pretty castable. But not the strongest. I throw mostly braided line with a leader now.

· Registered
3,945 Posts

Used to be a good quality line. I purchased some last fall and was severely disappointed. I like Seagar so far. I bit more pricey, but the quality seems to be worth it. I too use quite a bit of braid when I'm not dinking around with Trout.
I like Seaguar fuoracarbon lines for leaders. Red abel for everyday use. AbrazX for toothy critters. Not sure how castable it is. Never tried their mono (Senshi).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.