Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Registered
3,945 Posts
I always wonder why all the hate on St Croix? They seem to make a good product, American Made, Lifetime Warranty, Easy Replacement Procedure.
Sensitivity is what I heard. I think that's particularly true for the casting models which tend to be stiffer than rods of comparable power rating. It's less of an issue on spinning rods.

With your newly increased budget, I'd take a look at the G Loomis E6X. When I handled it in store, it felt a tad bit better than the Avid.

A review by Tackletour: http://www.tackletour.com/previewgloomise6x.html

· Registered
24,883 Posts
Sensitivity is what I heard. I think that's particularly true for the casting models which tend to be stiffer than rods of comparable power rating. It's less of an issue on spinning rods.

With your newly increased budget, I'd take a look at the G Loomis E6X. When I handled it in store, it felt a tad bit better than the Avid.

A review by Tackletour: http://www.tackletour.com/previewgloomise6x.html
Thanks Linh they make a drop shot rod...

· Registered
5,194 Posts
I always wonder why all the hate on St Croix? They seem to make a good product, American Made, Lifetime Warranty, Easy Replacement Procedure.
Lack of sentivity is the biggest one. Blank actions are pretty good to great. Had a top of the line custom built with the elite/xtreme blank. My phenix MBX custom was so so much more sensitive.

I sold the Croix. Also had an LTB, sucked also.
Guides on the rods are crappy for the price paid.
Slayer suggestion is a good one... 13 fishing makes those rods. What happen to the Omen idea?

KoldKut likes the ALX rods, he has built several rods of the blanks.

Loomis is another over priced for what you get... I haven't felt the new one though. If you do loomis get the GLX or NRX.

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Loomis is another over priced for what you get... I haven't felt the new one though. If you do loomis get the GLX or NRX.
He's gonna have to fork over an extra $200 at least for those models. Unless he's a savvy shopper... Then it might only be another $100+. The E6X is better than old GL in that price range. I might even pick one up as my next rod.

· Registered
3,945 Posts

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Just took another look at the GSX online. I remember now why I overlooked it last time: the foregrip is too short. That's where I hod my rods...

· Registered
11,180 Posts
I think I'm still missing something here. You said you are a new fisherman looking for a rod that's primary purpose is fishing for trout and you're planning on spending $300 dollars on a rod and reel combo. I don't know...I just don't get it?

· Registered
3,945 Posts
I think I'm still missing something here. You said you are a new fisherman looking for a rod that's primary purpose is fishing for trout and you're planning on spending $300 dollars on a rod and reel combo. I don't know...I just don't get it?
Maybe he has deep pockets? For the wealthy, the question is not "why" but "why not?" :biggrin1: Seriously, $300 for a combo is not unreasonable, and I am not in the "why not" class. People buy $1,000 combos like you and I buy walmart t-shirts... :biggrin1:

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
I'm not a noob as in never ever. I grew up salt water fishing in and off Virginia, Trout fishing in OR, I meant I'm new here.

I like nice things, I try to buy the best I can with what I can afford.

I've been out of the fishing world for a while, that's why I wanted some suggestions, last time I looked at rods you could still buy fiberglass, LOL

LOL, don't fly fishermen spend obscene amounts to fish for trout

· Registered
1,971 Posts
I'm jumping in a little late here, but since your budget increased take a look at Castaway Rods. I picked one up a few months ago and love the sensitivity it has. I've landed several large fish with ease and even used it fishing for small stuff around town when I was bored and didn't have the time to go too far. I also picked up a brand new one shopping with the wife at an indoor fleemarket for $27.99 (store price is over $100).

· Registered
17,067 Posts
Alright, budget went up to 200 or less, LOL. Wife is feeling generous. List has changed

Dobyns Savvy
Daiwa Tatula
Powell Inferno, Max 3D
St Croix Premier, Avid
ALX Shake, Trickster, Maestro
St. Croix Premier ML 7' paired with a Shimano Sahara 3000. Total=$200.

This has been my go-to rod for EVERYTHING the last 12 years. The 3000 has a large spool for hucking long distances. Caught several 10-lb pike on it, a 13lb mac from shore, browns to 8lbs, all on 6lb mono. Works large tubes for macs and tiny tubes for perch equally well.

Not stiff enough for working blade baits or ripping jigging raps.

· Registered
218 Posts
I just picked up a St. Croix "Triumph" spinning rod at Sportsmanship Warehouse for $89. Two piece 6'6". They also had one piece. I absolutely love it, and was blown away by the price. I have it matched with a Pflueger President. I have used this jigging and trolling. It's a little light for trolling, but for jigging/casting it is great! In the past I have bought cheaper rods, and I break them like crazy. I'm glad I spent the extra dough for a quality rod. Better than going through three rods, spending the same money, and after a season having nothing to show for it because they all broke!

· Registered
218 Posts
I like Fenwick, If your cool with throwing some money away you might as well match it with a sweet little Shimano 1000 Stradic.
I used to like Fenwick's a lot, as I have owned a couple in the past. Then I broke one that was only four years old, in a situation that that should not have caused a break (trying to snap out a snag). Then I went to the cheap stuff and was totally dissatisfied. Spend a little extra, you will be glad you did!

· Registered
3,945 Posts
I just picked up a St. Croix "Triumph" spinning rod at Sportsmanship Warehouse for $89. Two piece 6'6". They also had one piece. I absolutely love it, and was blown away by the price. I have it matched with a Pflueger President. I have used this jigging and trolling. It's a little light for trolling, but for jigging/casting it is great! In the past I have bought cheaper rods, and I break them like crazy. I'm glad I spent the extra dough for a quality rod. Better than going through three rods, spending the same money, and after a season having nothing to show for it because they all broke!
St. Croix Premier ML 7' paired with a Shimano Sahara 3000. Total=$200.

This has been my go-to rod for EVERYTHING the last 12 years. The 3000 has a large spool for hucking long distances. Caught several 10-lb pike on it, a 13lb mac from shore, browns to 8lbs, all on 6lb mono. Works large tubes for macs and tiny tubes for perch equally well.

Not stiff enough for working blade baits or ripping jigging raps.
Haven't you two heard that St Croix are just crap! :biggrin1:

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.