Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

· Registered
3,945 Posts
They don't know what great is if you haven't used it :):cool::cool:
Truth be told, I reconsidered my affinity for St Croix after reading you and Kenny trashing them. I still like them for the ergonomics and I don't need that much sensitivity for how I fish. However, when I buy a dropshot rod, it will not be a St Croix. I don't drop shot much or fish much in a way that requires that much sensitivity.

· Registered
94 Posts
Am I "wrong" for using "Shakespeare TIGER" spinning rods & reels from Walmart?? Three different times I bought them on sale for $15 to $20 bucks. The worst thing about them (aside for not feeling much nibbling) is the SH!+ SPRINGY LINE they come with!

Any recommendations for a nice castable line that don't go BOING! and make a tangled mess while trying to bring in a fish?

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Am I "wrong" for using "Shakespeare TIGER" spinning rods & reels from Walmart?? Three different times I bought them on sale for $15 to $20 bucks. The worst thing about them (aside for not feeling much nibbling) is the SH!+ SPRINGY LINE they come with!

Any recommendations for a nice castable line that don't go BOING! and make a tangled mess while trying to bring in a fish?
Whatever floats your boat... :thumb: Line: I liked P-Line Floroclear in my mono days. Moderately priced and pretty castable. But not the strongest. I throw mostly braided line with a leader now.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Line: I liked P-Line Floroclear in my mono days. Moderately priced and pretty castable

Used to be a good quality line. I purchased some last fall and was severely disappointed. I like Seagar so far. I bit more pricey, but the quality seems to be worth it. I too use quite a bit of braid when I'm not dinking around with Trout.

· Registered
3,945 Posts

Used to be a good quality line. I purchased some last fall and was severely disappointed. I like Seagar so far. I bit more pricey, but the quality seems to be worth it. I too use quite a bit of braid when I'm not dinking around with Trout.
I like Seaguar fuoracarbon lines for leaders. Red abel for everyday use. AbrazX for toothy critters. Not sure how castable it is. Never tried their mono (Senshi).

· Registered
7,805 Posts

I definitely agree with you on that. Used to be good line. Not so much anymore.

I agree about the Gander rods. For the price, you can't beat what you get.

I don't buy super high end stuff, but I will spend a little dough on a custom. For off the shelf rods, St. Croix rods are a good value, and typically an upgrade for a lot of anglers. Not my favorite by a long shot for the reasons listed earlier, but if you're going from a Shaksespear to a St. Croix, it's like you upgraded your Pinto to a GT500.

It's all subjective anyway. Get what you like, what is comfortable for you. Like you said, you buy the best within your budget. When I worked sales, that's exactly what I would tell customers. You can buy cheap stuff, but for the cost to get even into mid grade stuff, you save money in not having to buy it year after year.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.