Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slacking of late and haven't been contributing much at all to the forum. I wanted to get some opinions on a couple of different topics.

First, ever since I took a first float/guide trip this summer I have been on the hunt for more of a dedicated dry fly/lighter nymph/dry dropper rod. This isn't a "need" by any stretch but more of a "want" due to the ability to have two rods with me to switch tactics quickly. Not unlike when I gear fish, I will have 2 spin rods and a bait caster with me all set up differently to allow quick changes and cover water.

The guide had a Winston 4wt wt, that was a ton of fun to cast. It loaded nicely and laid down really delicately. I have been looking at those as well as Scott G series as well as the Flex. I haven't had the chance to cast either of the last two but I will in the near future. I am partial to Scott ( have the radian 5wt and tidal 8wt ) but obviously I am open to suggestions as all the more reputable companies put out great products.

The next question I had was about fiberglass rods and if anyone has any experience with some of the newer products- echo, epic, blue halo etc. The thought I had with some of the glass rods is either getting a lighter rod like a 4wt to cover lighter presentations and use my radian for streamers and nymphing or get, say, a 6wt glass rod for bass bugging and streamers and use the radian for the dries etc. The slower action and deep flexing glass rods just looks like fun and it's always nice to change up fishing styles and tactics.

Hope everyone is still getting out there and thanks for the input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
Maybe I'm not understanding your question but reads to me your casting for a reason to buy a 4wt?
4wt advantage...More forgiveness in not pulling hook from LARGE fish when using 6x.

No other noticeable advantage in my book. I fish a 4wt 49% of the time

4wt disadvantage...Any breeze can make you wished you had stayed at home

No other disadvantages in my book. I fish a 5 wt 49% of the time.

2% of the time I'm fishing a rod for specific class of fish...Large wiper, tiny brookies, etc...

Unless the glass rod's actions are comparable to med-fast and fast actions of carbons, I will never own one. I absolutely DISLIKE slow rods. I see nothing but disadvantage with a slow action rod. Plus in Colorado, its breezy.....at least twice a day. Claim is they are easier for beginners. LOL, but that's a different topic.

Brand rod? Any of the known rod manufactures makes good rods and you don't need "flagships"...Unless only the most expensive rods catch fish for you; in which case, I feel sorry for you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the jist of it is- I'm looking for another rod to carry with me on longer outings and the like to be able to cover more water without spending as much time switching out rigs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
Flyrods $$$$$$$ Vs. $

I'm not sure if it would be of interest to you, but the last three 5 wt. rods I purchased have all been TFO's. I have a Scott, my favorite, a Sage and a R.L. Winston all quality products. I must say that the majority of my fly fishing is on the three South Park reservoirs not the brush and willow covered banks on most of our rivers.
That being said, I really don't feel there is a 10% difference in handling, feel, fighting ability, and overall quality from the "High End" rods. The TFO's, when on sale, are under $100 and carry a lifetime warranty with a maximum $30 replace or repair cost.
I have a hard time justifying the more expensive rods when these do a great job at an 85% discount. Which ever rod you choose to fish with, please think about a rod float for your investment, especially if your fishing two rods on the SP Lakes, if you don't have a float, (About $3 or $1 homemade) you will one day lose an outfit to a fish, I'm sure all of you know someone who has done this!! http://www.fishingonline.com/shoreline-marine-fishing-rod-floats/?gclid=CKHXmeWewtECFQgGhgod1j8EXA
Just another way to look at it?
Bill

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, thanks for the input. I have heard great things about TFO and have also fished the BVK before in a 6wt. I agree they are nice rods and you can't beat the price. I've heard they can be prone to breaking more easily than other rods, have you ever had any trouble with them?

I have been keeping an eye out on CL and other sites to see if anything pops up that I can't pass up. In all honesty I doubt I would carry two rods at all times just because it can be a pain if you are primarily wade fishing, but, it is appealing from the standpoint of spending more time fishing and less time re-rigging.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have two TFO's. An 8 wt Lefty proII and a 5wt left pro. I love both rods and used to fish with the 5 wt 98% of the time. I use the 8 wt for big streamers, pike bass etc. I have broken the 5 wt 5 times (about once a year) usually after trying to chuck to heavy of a streamer and smacking the rod a few times (will i ever learn). It runs $25 and the turn around is a week to a week and a half.

Two springs ago I bought a orvis superfine glass 3wt... I now find a reason to fish it about 50% of the time. It has a whole different feel. You slow down, go light and throw nice loops. This past summer i used it for fishing the poudre and some of the little gravel pit ponds near it. Often in the same day. My best days of fishing this year was throwing micro streamers in the ponds during runoff. Landed several big for here sunfish and bass as they were waking up this spring on simple little streamers. As well as a catfish.... A size 12 north platte special fishes great with it as you fish back down stream in the dark. You can feel it load.

My most recent rod purchase is a tenkara rod. The teton. I took it out for the 3 or fourth time tonight. Finally got some bites. Landed a nice 12 inch brown and had a LDR on what I think was a fat rainbow. it ran, i tried to give it line..... Then i remembered there is none! SMH... But it definitely has alot of flex and reach for playing fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts