Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I flew over this new dam being built in Parker. Looks like it is already starting to collect water. I went to the website and they have place for the public to input comments. It is interesting to see what the non fishing public has to say.

There are a lot of opinions out there.

1. Electric motors only.
2. Gas motors and wakeless.
3. Gas motors all the time.
4. Alternate days. Even days gas and odd electric.

Here is the website. It would be nice to have another "Aurora Res." close to home.

www.rueterhess.com

I wonder if the DOW has a stocking plan in place? Anyone know? It looks like this lake will be about 1,100 acers.

FM

·
Registered
633 Posts
Looks like the max depth will be 43 feet.
After reading through the comments I'm suprised with how many people want to make it a wind or human powered boat lake only. I took a minute to leave my opinion that at least they need to allow electric motors as a compromise and it seems that if everyone did the same we might be able to influence the people who will be making the final decisions to let us at least have fishing access to a potentially great lake. Please take the time to respond now as trying to change it later will be WAY harder. Thanks for the topic fishmohr.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hey Lew & Lucky thanks for the replies. It will only be non-motorized if we don't advocate for ourselves and let them know what we want. The sailors, kayakers, and other folks are putting up a pretty strong fight to keep all motors off the lake. Come on people take the time to let them know how we feel.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I left a comment on letting us use boats with a HP limit all over the lake. Some of the remarks left are pretty sad. A lot of people are for a No boating lake.
Some one should take a picture of the structure on the lake before it fills up. ;) ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you can get a pic of the structure by using google earth. That is a good idea. What I am not clear on is if the term non-motorized. Does that mean man powered? Or at least electric motors? It definetly rules out gas motors. This is going to be a big lake and I can't see where they will allow sailboats on lake without at least having electric motor back up incase the wind dies. I am glad you guys are putting your comments in. If the DOW does it right we could a first class perch, walleye, crappie and blue gill fishery. I am thinking that gas motors will be out because of the water is going to be used for drinking. I just hope they don't have the stupid rule that Arvada does. 14 day isolation of your boat before you can use it on the lake.

·
Registered
901 Posts
A good friend of mine works for the company building/designing the dam. I've been following it due to its proximity to my place in Castle Rock.
sswan said:
What waterway is going to be the source?
Runoff mainly. They are pumping from Cherry Creek (not the res.) as well.
He also says it is pretty much decided that it is going to have similar boating restricitons as Aurora. He's working on getting me some information on DOW stocking plans and hours of operation as those are my two biggest questions right now. Stocking is set to start this spring, but he doesn't know what yet. Any other questions he might know let me know and I will ask him.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
RyJ said:
A good friend of mine works for the company building/designing the dam. I've been following it due to its proximity to my place in Castle Rock.
sswan said:
What waterway is going to be the source?
Runoff mainly. They are pumping from Cherry Creek (not the res.) as well.
He also says it is pretty much decided that it is going to have similar boating restricitons as Aurora. He's working on getting me some information on DOW stocking plans and hours of operation as those are my two biggest questions right now. Stocking is set to start this spring, but he doesn't know what yet. Any other questions he might know let me know and I will ask him.
Thanks. I thought that might be the case. Could you ask him if there will be a fishable tailwater coming out of the dam?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The 43ft looks like a temporary depth. Most dams are filled in stages. Basically fill to a 1/3 or 1/4 of max depth and hold that level to allow the dam to saturate and make sure nothing is wrong. So the State has approved them to fill to a holding point, my guess. Since the Dam is designed for water use and the dam hieght is 192ft, I bet it will fill a lot higher. Bear Creek, Cherry Creek and Chatfield are designed for flood control and that is why they leave them so low compared to the dam crest.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I believe Andrew Luck River will be flowing out of Rueter Hess Reservoir modeled after the baffling system used on Flaming Gorge to revitalize the Green River flowing out of the Gorge... ::) ;D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts