Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I built a new sled. To pay homage to Eskimo who has always been good to me. It measures 5'X3'x9'" high. It is built of 1"X2" and 1"X3" pine. I used skis as runners. it weighs about 30lbs, and can support well over 300lbs. I hand painted the logo, and pinstriped it freehand. A little wavy, but it was very cold and the paint would not stay fluid. It is wrapped with 550 cord.
It took me about a week to engineer, build, and paint. It pulls like a dream and fits perfectly in any short box truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Badass looking sled!!

30lbs seems a bit heavy to me for just a sled.... I may be wrong though!!

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Way kewl its like a dog sled...now you need some metal bars hanging off the front to suspend a bunch of stuffed animal dogs hanging off the front...so when you get behind it looks like you are mushing a dog team out on the ice...complete it with a recording of Huskies running and barking....bwahahahahahaha that would get u some wtf looks!...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use it to load all my ice gear, hut, auger, cooler, buckets, chairs, you name it. Yes 30 lbs. is not light, but is pulls like butter, and can hold 10 times it's weight. Plastic sleds have so much surface area, they require a lot of effort to pull. You can literally pull this with one finger.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Wow man, great job. At the risk of trafficking in clichés, it looks "retro" and "modern" at the same time. 30 pounds might be a bit more than injection molded polyethylene, but I bet it does pull really easy on those skis. Plus, you look like a boss.

Killer!

SS

·
Registered
67 Posts
Now you need some metal bars hanging off the front to suspend a bunch of stuffed animal dogs hanging off the front...so when you get behind it looks like you are mushing a dog team out on the ice...complete it with a recording of Huskies running and barking....bwahahahahahaha that would get u some wtf looks!...
That there is an amazing idea!!

Very cool sled by the way man! Sharp clean, and detailed.

I did my first ice trip yesterday and am hooked. Now i am online lookin' at all the stuff I need to get, sled included.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Very nice craftsmanship. Looks very impressive and I'm sure functions well. Might be able to take a nap on it as well when the fish are not cooperative.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's funny because I was inspired by the Iditarod dog sleds, just wider and no front brush guard. I almost built it with bent wood. Thanks to all for the views and comments. If you see the "Eskimo Joe" on your lake, come by and drink a beer!

·
Banned
553 Posts
All you need now is a grunt and a whip.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts