Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a couple hours to kill today, so the boy and I went to a spot 20-30 minutes away.

***Please, if you know the location, keep it to yourself. Thanks. ;)

Anyway, we were having a hard time figuring out what to use to get into the fish, went through 3 combinations of rigs with no landed fish. Finally, we figured out the right combo and started catchin' em. Nothing big, just fun fishing with my son on a beautiful day.

Before we left, we gave 'er one more toss out into the water, this time changing our bobber depth by 6 inches (deeper)

The boy landed his first of these guys... At first, he didn't like it's spikes and the rough texture of it's skin.

But he got over it pretty quickly.

Anyway, it was an awesome day... In all, 7 bluegill and 1 perch landed. All fish were released to swim again... I taught my kiddo the phrase today, "Let em go to let em grow."

Times like these, I love being a father... (sorry to get all sentimental)

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Awesome
Very cool Oprah, looking forward to those days

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas. The kid is starting to get the hookset down... He still has a tough time remembering to keep the slack out of the line unless I remind him repeatedly, but that perch took the nymph and ran with it. The fish took the slack out of the line and the hookset looked pro as f***.

I told him that ALL the hooksets should feel like that one, and that if he kept the slack tight on the line, they mostly all WOULD feel that way.

He still misses as many as he sets, but that's a hell of alot better than last year when he barely grasped the concept of a solid hookset.

Progress, man... I'm proud of the little ****.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Thats totally awesome fellas!!!...

·
Registered
31 Posts
very nice !! its always a good day when you can take the kid out and actually catch fish with him !! no better feeling for a dad then that !!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks fellas... We would have caught more, I bet, but it took us a while to get the presentation right, and even when we WERE catching, it was not quite there.

We had 12 pound test on the spool... I had a swivel running to 6 pound leader, but the swivel seemed to scare off the fish and looked unnatural. I tried several different bobber depths and flies but the swivel always made it look goofy in the water. Eventually I pulled off the swivel and 6 pound leader and just ran the 12 pound straight to the fly. Unfortunately, 12 pound mono was not meant for the size 18 and 20 flies we were trying to use, as the eyelet was too small, so we had to use a big ass copper John (size 8) that was probably too big for what we were trying to accomplish...

Heavy line running straight through to a big fly didn't look all that good either, but it worked.

I thought about tying up the leader direct to the 12 pound mono without a swivel, but I had set up at home before we left and didn't bring the 6 pound with me. After changing flies 5 times with the swivel on, there wasn't enough of the leader left to do a good surgeons knot to tie directly on.

Lessons for next time? Lighter line will catch more fish, don't be afraid to experiment, and BRING EXTRA LINE!!!!

Luckily, we got into em, but it took an hour of f***Ing up before we pegged it.

Thanks for reading.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts