Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried a new spot here in foco today after taking my Eco/conservation exam at 5. I didn't expect much because it's a tiny pond and is pretty well known. I was actually impressed. It's was littered with willing bluegill, most of which were of decent size. I also saw one bass pushing three pounds and a few others not far behind. I couldn't coax any decent bass but I got a few small ones. As I was walking around the back end of the pond, I saw a giant shape in the water. At first I thought it was a log but once it moved I realized it was a giant carp. I got my new redington pursuit 9wt out and was able to catch this fat guy pictured below. He was pretty good sized but was probably only half or a third the size of the bigger carp I saw. All in all it was a good day and I look forward to going back.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Nice dude. I bet he gave you a nice fight! I haven't seen many of them mirror carp in CO...that one is actually quite attractive compared to most I've seen. ..lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You caught a rare fish right there! That isn't biologically just a mirror carp nor a koi. It's actually both... it's a mirror Koi. You should have kept it and sold it, those can be sold for thousands in the open Koi market.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I'd have to say, that is one pretty fish. Perhaps John CO_Spgs can chime in. He has caught mirrors, kois, all kinds of species of hybrids. He can speak to this fish a bit more.

I had heard that koi and carp could interbreed under the right circumstances, but I haven't seen a mirror carp/golden koi cross before. Really interesting catch!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
You caught a rare fish right there! That isn't biologically just a mirror carp nor a koi. It's actually both... it's a mirror Koi. You should have kept it and sold it, those can be sold for thousands in the open Koi market.
lol if this is true you better go catch that ******* again!!8)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honestly that actually crossed my mind because I watch tons of videos on the koi and different fish markets in Asia and how lucrative they can be. The fish reminded me of some of those expensive fish I've seen on tv

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Nice lookin fish. Glad school isn't takin up all your time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts