Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... or NOT! rofl.
took mama for a boat ride last week for the first time in a few years, and it turned into a crappie fishing trip. caught several on small cranks along rock walls near brush. was enjoying a nice peaceful day of catching some perfect eater size craps when the silence was broken by the screaming drag of a penn 309 spooled with leadcore! that excitement was followed by the biggest snarl of a birds nest ever witnessed. first thought, big fargin' wiper. second thought, never gonna land her because everyone knows that hand lining a big nutso wipey in the brush, wind blowing like a suminabirch on leadcore, is simply out of the question. 15 minutes later, after a continuous streak of colorful language and some sore hands, the beast came into view. FLATHEAD... big fargin' flathead! from out of nowhere, a shrill high pitched voice started screaming "get the net, GET THE NET". after she got me settled down a little, mama grabbed the net! that fish hung over each side of an 18" net by at least 8" and coleman was on his way into the record books. that's when it happened. the beast swung that big ol' flat basketball sized mondo head of hers and hung the lure in the webbing. we all know what that means... poof, she gone! as quickly as it began it ended. might have been a few tears, but the wife was able to console me to the point of being able to continue fishing. caught a few more fish including a nice fight from a 5 lb wipey for mama. was a great trip for the old woman, and the wife, followed by a great fried crappie dinner back at the house.
moral of the story... if you like catching big cats, GO CRAPPIE FISHING!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
It's possible that it was a new record. Think the record is like 36" long and somewhere close to 30 pounds. Tuff luck but sounds like fun.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Heart breaker! Hand lining a beast like that had to be interesting.
Sounds like Catfish Hunter from Grumpy Old Men!

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Haven't been here in a while, great way to come back although I would have preferred you kept that sucker in the net! Well done regardless!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts