Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Really nice tie. I can see why it worked for you. I can also see that with a few color changes it could match th Salmon Flys on the Gunnison, Colorado, and Roaring Fork. Nice job.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Very nice...

I use simmilar materials on a double bead golden stone I came up with last year... I also added antennea, which could easily be done on this pattern by just leaving the wing case rubber instead of clipping it off, then tying it into place on the side of the bead.

Great fly.. really like the movement.... I see that is a theme in your favorite flies. That has rubbed off.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oyey said:
Very nice...

I use simmilar materials on a double bead golden stone I came up with last year... I also added antennea, which could easily be done on this pattern by just leaving the wing case rubber instead of clipping it off, then tying it into place on the side of the bead.

Great fly.. really like the movement.... I see that is a theme in your favorite flies. That has rubbed off.
Good idea on the front antennea...I'm going to try that right now

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I liked the antennea because they face forward against the flow of the water hopefully, which should really mean a lot of movement.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Theo, that thing is the spittin image of stones on rocks we found in Waterton Canyon several years ago - I was new to fly fishing at the time and the only thing I could think of at the time was "Those things are HUGE - and not much smaller than my little finger - and I'm gonna catch fish that eat those? Better keep my fingers outta the water!"

Really like the span flex - what colors do you carry it in? Very nice looking fly! ;)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fishingal said:
Theo, that thing is the spittin image of stones on rocks we found in Waterton Canyon several years ago - I was new to fly fishing at the time and the only thing I could think of at the time was "Those things are HUGE - and not much smaller than my little finger - and I'm gonna catch fish that eat those? Better keep my fingers outta the water!"

Really like the span flex - what colors do you carry it in? Very nice looking fly! ;)
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I designed it the entire time from samples of stones I've taken from the S. Platte. I have other variations making double wing pads, and knotting all the legs. If I were ever to submit this fly that is the version I would turn in, but the one in the video fishes just as well as the more intricate variation I have.

We carry flexy floss and spanflex in every color they make as we tie a lot of bugs with it. The legs are speckled silly legs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts