Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna upgrade my troller its a Powerdrive 55 with added I-pilot.

Gonna do a Terrova 80 with factory installed Ipilot.

Just saw the Ulterra 80 with the auto Stow/Deploy. Wicked cool. But I wonder how much more drain on the batteries this feature would cause? Plus its an extra $500.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
My Buddy just put the same unit on His 17' Ranger.. last season...
He LOVES it....
Specially the "spot lock" feature...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Saw that video,stow/deploy way cool feature. Coolest cat at the ramp or 100 more kasties?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Island Lakes Marine had a blowout on their remaining Terrova's back in December. Pretty sure I got my 80 for less than $1k. Might be worth giving them a call to see if they have any left.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I have the same Terrova and I-Pilot on my boat. I haven't taken it out yet on it's maiden voyage, so I can't speak to it?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
You are going to love the extra power! :)

Stow/deploy manually is a pain in the low back and even dangerous some days when the waves are pitching. You just have to wonder if they'll get it right -- like the ipilot, or wrong where it almost always breaks after one season like the copilot. ::)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have the same Terrova and I-Pilot on my boat. I haven't taken it out yet on it's maiden voyage, so I can't speak to it?
Why don't you throw in a couple of slabbin' rods and haul that new rig down to Pueblo?
I don't know how you can stand to have a new ride and not have put it in the water yet!

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Mike is this the first year for stow and deploy I dont remember it before...if it is I would pass until they get all the bugs worked out...is it that tough or labor intensive to put a bow mount up?...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
another option

i know Bernies been running the xi5 motor guide, would be worth a look. sounds like motorguide spotlock is allmost immediate, i pilot takes a while, got some other cool features. negatives no screen on fob to tell you what going on.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Mike is this the first year for stow and deploy I dont remember it before...if it is I would pass until they get all the bugs worked out...is it that tough or labor intensive to put a bow mount up?...
It CAN be a royal PIA especially when windy... in 2-3 footers....
I had My motor shaft lengthened to 72" for my boat... (rope pull)
You have to put some muscle to it and THEN make sure when it goes into the carriage that Your transducer cable isn't in harms way and gonna get cut off...
One benefit of having Universal Sonar setup is No transducer cable to worry about...

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Its not hard at all when my guest in the front does all the work!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I can't see the Ulterra being worth an extra 5 hundo , plus it's a 1st gen . Terrova 80 I-Pilot is a beast. Fucka 55lb.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It's not the new TM ur asking about but my buddy had an older MK TM Genesis and it was one of them fancy deploy models. He said it was the worst thing he ever bought for his boat. To many moving parts that didn't move when you needed it to. I'm not saying the Ulterra is the same, just stating MK history. Me personally I would rather have the Terrova because I need manual to load up my boat at electric lakes. The Ulterra wouldn't be fast enough.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Its not hard at all when my guest in the front does all the work!
Some of us dont **** with the captains routine unless asked...dire **** happens when you let someone on board mess with your routine...

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
i know Bernies been running the xi5 motor guide, would be worth a look. sounds like motorguide spotlock is allmost immediate, i pilot takes a while, got some other cool features. negatives no screen on fob to tell you what going on.
Yep pretty much immediate unlike the minnkota but i would miss the display...that is a tough one...

·
Registered
433 Posts
its about the same as the POS Genensis, only with a remote, and the video is on a very calm day and water. If you remember when they first brought it out, it was only in production for a month, and it was plain to see it was a disaster from the get go. They had a 91% return rate for repairs in the first 3 months. The only thing that worked was the motor would turn. The motor was rated at 74 # thrust at 24 volts. now they call it an 80#. at 36 volts its a 101 # I wouldn't give you $50 for one. Then only if I wanted the motor off it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Bobco, I run the Xi5 on my boat. I absolutely love it and all the features of it! The anchor lock is immediate and very accurate, not a lot of "hunting" around when its anchored on gps.. the trolling paths are extremely accurate, the cruise control feature excels, even at Creek with the waves from the other boats and all that. It also "remembers " anchor positions as well, and when you push a button to go to a previous anchor position, it will automatically take you there via the shortest route. Whats really cool to me, is I can make a trolling pass within a cast length from shore during the day, record the track, and at dusk put the motor on cruise control at about .3-.4 mph, hit the re trace track button, and I am hands free for casting the shoreline for nighttime eyes! It's a quieter motor than my MinnKota was, and the controls that operate it are quieter as well! If you like having a pedal instead, the pedal is battery operated and wireless as well, and you can access the anchor lock and cruise functions from it as well. It seems much more energy efficient in my boat, using less battery power even hauling my fat butt around. I have the 24 volt, 80 lb thrust I believe it is and my boat is a 16' Sylvan walk through. The only downside I have come across thus far is the battery life of the included batteries for the remote and the pedal suck! LOL

1 - 20 of 34 Posts