Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
11,854 Posts
I think the terrova is the best thing on my boat. I will never be without one.. an extra $500 so I don't have to lift it in and out? Why not... if you got that kind of scratch, of course I would do it.

To put things in perspective on the ipilot itself...when asked (and I get asked often) about buying a boat, I always say the same thing... set a budget for your boat...doesn't matter if it's 2500 or 25000 but set your budget. Then decrease it by $1200 because you must have an ipilot if you are a fisherman who owns a boat. It's the single thing that truly allows me more fishing time and catches me more fish.

· Registered
17,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah Cher I hadnt thought about electric only lakes. Gotta lift that motor fast right b4 it hits the trailer!

I already have the I-pilot and could never live without it. Gotta have at least 80lbs for the queen mary when the breeze kicks up. That 55 came with and its barely adequate.

That said gonna go stay away from the ulterra, I may look at the Motorguide also.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
I like the Riptide (saltwarer version of the Minnkota). Cost a little more upfront but they are built for tougher duty. The electronics are embeded in epoxy, sacrificial anode to prevent rust, etc.

· Registered
17,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, my lowrance is from 2010, not a gen 2, so I would hafta get an HDS 8 for $800, then the Motorguide for $1500, then the cable for $250.

Then I would put the old HDS 5 in the bow hooked to the US 2.

Or I can just simply get a Terrova for $1500 and be happy.

aND SELL MY OLD MOTOR FOR $400-450 AND HAVE A TOTAL OUTLAY OF ~ $1000 VS. $2000 OR SO- i SUPPOSE A GRAND REALLY AINT THAT MUCH IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS!

· Registered
127 Posts
What would be cool is if Minnkota had a demo day on Aurora Res. They could have their pros come out and show us the new motors and see how they actually work on the water. Give us a basic sales pitch on the new features and let us run them under real conditions for a few minutes. I think the stow and deploy feature is awesome if it does not have glitches.

Getting to spend 10 minutes in the boat running a motor might make up or change your mind on what you want. Maybe the Lowrance rep would show up and do some on the water training as well for those of us who have HDs.

A good source for Minnkota questions is Christy's Minnkota repair service in Ft. Collins. He gets to see a lot of glitches.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.