Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I just received orders getting stationed at the USAF Academy. I have a ton of questions about what fish are in what lakes and where to fish around the Springs area. I grew up "eye" fishing in SD with my grandpa, moved to AK where I specialized in pike fishing, and now I'm fixing to leave ID where it's mostly been bass and panfish. My order of fishing preference is just that. Walleye, Pike (very close second), panfish and then bass. I do love some catfishing, but that's more about drinking the beer. LOL

I'm not asking for your honey holes, I'm more interested in where you would advise a new person to go to fish for these species around the USAF Academy. I do have a 12 foot Sea Eagle I fish out of, so I have boat access to any lake or pond with water.

Here in ID, Fish and Game puts out a breakdown by lake on what fish are there and wheather or not they are native or stockers. Anything like that in CO.

Any info you are willing to provide is greatly appreciated. TIA

Bill

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I'll be the first to tell you

GTFO!

But that's just to claim I said it first.

The Academy has some ponds, non-boatable, but good for mid-day lunch break fishing for stocked trout.

Colorado is managed as a trout state, regardless of area, it's all about trout.

For your fish, 11-mile for pike, and anything in the Denver metro area for perch.

Being in the springs sucks, there is little good water within an hours drive. You will probably find yourself going to Pueblo or Denver to fish.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Welcome Bill. On the days I fish Spinney & Elevenmile for pike I wish I lived in The Springs. For you the drive won't be bad to those state parks. Those fisheries have some of the best pike in the state, not to mention some of the best wind in the state so be careful. I love fishing for pike in big wind though. I'm not sure the pike will be on Alaska level. I know it's not as good as Canada. Tightline Outdoors boated a 30+ pounder last year at Spinney. I've found 34-38 inchers on most of my pike trips and I've only targeted them for a year & a half. You'll have a great time at Pueblo Res. for eyes (another one which is closer for you than those of us in Denver). As far as The Springs go, if you find an eye or pike fishery within 40 minutes you'll have a best kept secret... not even sure if such a thing exists- doubt it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, I will GTFO as soon as my four years are up. I was pretty upset about the assignment, but maybe something better waits for me in CO. The personal conversations is what drew me into the sight.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
If you meet with a few folks on the forum, that'll help you out more than anything. PM's yield good info, but I wouldn't jump on the PM's real quick. Go fish, post both good and bad reports, and the info will come.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the hemroid status of using eleven mile and spinney on the weekend? I've had my best luck trolling with wild eye storms baby pike lures. I'm assuming with high elevation, there's not a lot of boaters and skiers on those lakes.

·
Registered
958 Posts
You'll have Spinney to yourself even on most weekends & holidays- no watersports. I think 11 Mile allows watersports but it's still not bad as most people go for the warmer front range lakes for watersports. 11 Mile has camping & draws more boaters so you'll get a little delayed at the ramp at times, but that's rare. I can see that lure working well here.

W

·
0 Posts
Reifer said:
I've had my best luck trolling with wild eye storms baby pike lures.
My bro and I took the canoe to Spinney once last fall. We saw some guys anchored a few different times. We passed them on our way in and shot the breeze for a minute. They were hanging those Storms over the side and letting the rocking of the boat do the work. They said they'd done well.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Captain America said:
Reifer said:
I've had my best luck trolling with wild eye storms baby pike lures.
My bro and I took the canoe to Spinney once last fall. We saw some guys anchored a few different times. We passed them on our way in and shot the breeze for a minute. They were hanging those Storms over the side and letting the rocking of the boat do the work. They said they'd done well.
Storm makes some of the most affordable swimbaits & I hear they work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are awesome. I've caught fish when people with spoons, rooster tails and everything else couldn't catch a thing. The biggest pike I ever caught came out of the water after the bait right next to shore.

Not worried about the boat ramp. I have an inflatable boat so I just carry it to the water.

Any ATV trailer around those two lakes? I usually launch my boat off my
ATV.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
[They are awesome. I've caught fish when people with spoons, rooster tails and everything else couldn't catch a thing. The biggest pike I ever caught came out of the water after the bait right next to shore.

Not worried about the boat ramp. I have an inflatable boat so I just carry it to the water.

Any ATV trailer around those two lakes? I usually launch my boat off my
ATV.
[/quote]

welcome to co and the forum
i belive you have to launch at the ramp on both of those lakes if you use a motor on your boat and you have to go through the ANS inspection. from AFA you can go to monument lake, about 10 miles north for small bass and stocker trout, or go 4 miles farther north to palmer lake for small pike and trout. in the springs there is pike view that has big tiger muskies but they ahe impossable to catch then there is prospect lake that is stocked with walleyes saugeyes wipers there may still be some pike there as well but most people fish for the trout. there are trout lakes on the AFA grounds and Fort Carson has both warm and cold water lakes and all of this is within 20 milessouth of carson is brush hollow off hwy 115 at penrose or lake pueblo down hwy I-25 and follow the signs. my choice would be brush hollow for walleyes bass and crappie

·
Banned
3,879 Posts
Reifer said:
What's the hemroid status of using eleven mile and spinney on the weekend? I've had my best luck trolling with wild eye storms baby pike lures. I'm assuming with high elevation, there's not a lot of boaters and skiers on those lakes.
No skiers...There really isn't a problem launching or landing on the mile...the only hassle is the zebra mussel inspections prior to and after launching any trailered watercarft..

Im in the Springs area and I usually fish 11 Mile...In El Paso County your about 50 miles from a boat ramp...Rampart Range Reservoir might be closer...

The Catamounts are on the road to Pike's Peak...they are hand carry trout lakes...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts