Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to take my sons fishing and come home with a good story or photo. We mostly catch and release. We haven't had any luck here. Been here since june and only caught 2 fish. SMB and a Bluegill. I found this site by performing a search for 88th and Colorado, fishing at the Thornton Pits which is only a few miles from our house. Obviously that place isn't worth it from all the replies I read here.

Help us out! I have 4 boys at home now, the other is in College back in SC. My boys are dying to catch some fish here. We've tried Standley a few times, and paid a couple of times at various state parks within 20 miles of us. I can't even remember the names. We don't have a boat, strictly shore fishing for now.

I would like to avoid the weeds, and not have to travel too far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ha Ha well, we don't have that problem in South Carolina lakes that we frequented. For weeds, I think Barr lake was the worst. I guess it's something we'll have to learn to fish. As you probably already guessed, I wasn't raised a fisherman, so I still have a lot to learn. First step... learn to fish the weeds. So ummm.... where else can we go? :D

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Chatfield, cherry creek, quincy, aurora. Quincy's weeds are terrible right now, im talking half inch thick mats so I wouldn't go there in your case, aurora also probably wouldn't be the best decision. Cherry creek doesn't have bad weeds but that lake can be a *****. Idk about chatfield I haven't been there this year, but you should be able to catch smallmouth there. Just go to the mountains and catch some trouts:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We'll have to check out Chatfield this weekend. Has anyone attended a fly fishing class or know a great place to learn? I found a company called orvis and theflyfisher.com. 1 day class at theflyfisher is $195. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I may be wrong but I thought I have heard things about free fly fishing lessons at bass pros on Saturdays, or maybe it was a specific Saturday I don't know It would be worth looking into

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I may be wrong but I thought I have heard things about free fly fishing lessons at bass pros on Saturdays, or maybe it was a specific Saturday I don't know It would be worth looking into
Yes, I looked it up, you are correct. Thanks! I registered my boys and I for their free class.

Introduction to Fly Fishing
Aug 23, 2014

Fly Fishing Workshop

On Saturdays at 10:00am our Bass Pro Shops fly fishing team will host an introduction to fly fishing workshop which will cover everything you need to know including: equipment, gear, flies, casting, rigging, knots, waterways and more! This workshop will take place in the White River Fly Shop and will be led by Bass Pro Shops Associate David McElwain. The class is limited to up to 10 students, so make your reservation today by calling 720-385-3600 and ask for the White River Fly Shop. Dates are subject to change due to weather and/or holidays without notice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts