Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - I'm new to Colorado and I love most everything outdoors, especially fishing. I'm originally from Minnesota and most of my fishing experience is largemouth bass, pike and walleye. I live in Denver and would like some advice on places to go fishing. There don't seem to be many lakes and most people advise to fly fish but I never have.

Any info will help. If anyone wants a new guy to tag along for a fishing trip, let me know. Thanks!

-Phil

·
Registered
740 Posts
Welcome to the website and welcome to Colorado. If you want to do similar fishing to what you have done (or at least species) then I suggest the following:
Cherry Creek - Walleye
Chattfield - Walleye, SMB
Quincy - LMB
Some metro ponds have LMB but most people are pretty tight lipped about specifics as they are heavily fished.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome to CO.
One piece of advise I can give you is this; No hot spotting! Do not blab about fishing spots in this state. Sure some are already well known, but if you put a body of water on blast (online) it will most definitely see an increase in traffic/fishing pressure. Many great small bodies of water have been wrecked and straight up disrespected, i.e. over fishing/harvesting, trash, crowding. There is a fair amount of public warm water in the metro area, but likely nothing compared to what you are used to.
It seems like a lot of people in this state don’t like to put in the time and effort to research and learn a body of water. They will always ask where you went, what you used, where you stood, everything. Do not give in to this.

With that said, take b.reelz advice and use the fishing atlas, its a great resource.

Are you stuck on shore or do you have a watercraft?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks sending the atlas link, b.reelz.

Freestone303, I'm not looking to take over any territory I was just hoping for some basic advice. I'm used to a lot more lake access and that doesn't seem to be the case in CO, oh well. I don't have a boat so that makes it hard too.

COfishingDad, thanks for the offer, I'll try to PM you.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I'm not looking to take over any territory
I don't think that's what he is worried about. What I read was once you find a good place to fish don't go online flapping your gums about it or it will be overfished and trashed before you know it.

Stick to PM's if you find a good fishing hole and care to share.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts