Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

New to Colorado Springs

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Needlesxx 
#1 ·
I'm new to CO and was wondering where some good spots are near colorado springs and what are some idea lures to use here. Was military and have lived to long in Europe to know anything about fishing in the states.

Thanks

#2 ·
Hi I thought I would say welcome I am also new to the board and new to the US. To me fishing in the US is a total new experience but it look like the guys here are friendly and willing to help. I am a vet served 18 years not in the US armed forces. Are you still active.

#3 ·
I got out after 11 years and stayed in Europe for three. Never fished there due to price and most fish you can not eat so. I've been in Colorado for about 5 months. It does sound like everyone is willing to help and share knowledge.

#4 ·
I am headed to the Ft. Carson ponds on Monday, if you want to meet up with me I would be happy to share information and tackle with you. Ontop of the Colorado fishing license it will cost you 20$ to fish on Ft. Carson. If you have a fishing rod and reel I can give you the basics for catching trout out there. There is also bass, catfish and a bunch of panfish, but its better to start on one species. Since trout is the dominate species in Colorado.
CraigN if you want to come to you are more then welcome, if you are on Spring break and need a ride or something let me know.

#7 ·
HEre are some recommendations then, Quail lake has pretty much every species of fish in it. Catfish, Bass, crappie, bluegill, trout, and who knows what else. So you cant go wrong with a worm on the bottom. Small hooks for worm around size 6 maybe, two split shots for weight or a small egg sinker so the fish doesnt feel the weight right away. This set up will catch pretty much any fish known to man, but it will take a while sometimes and at quail lake you have craydads to compete with as well. Trout powerbait and salmon eggs will probably be your most successful chance at quail lake. Orange powerbait works good as well as salmon peach, I also keep a rainbow can in my box incase neither of those are producing. Small hooks again are needed. When fishing for trout you dont have to do a bass master hook set they have soft jaws and all this will do is damage the fish and pull your hook right out.
Fly and bubble technique also works extremely well at quail lake, hit the search button upto and search if you want info on that, there are a couple great threads on this board that cover that.
Hope this helps, drop me a pm anytime you want I can try and head out there if I can. THe kid has started baseball so I will be pretty busy tell thats over.

#9 ·
Needlesxx said:
thanks for the info. I'm from West Virgina and typically fihsed for bass and catfish there. Trouts are new to me. I'm on the right track alomst. Just need a few smaller hooks and different power bait.
Powerbait is a confidence thing I think, pretty much everyone has their own favorites. For me its salmon peach and orange, with the backup of rainbow. Not very many people I know use the Salmon Peach kind, but it rarely fails me so I use it alot or atleast when I'm using powerbait.

#10 ·
Thanks again for the tips. I had a couple of hours this morning free and managed to get three bows at quail lake. Smaller hooks and cheese, orange powerbait. The softmouth was something that I had totally forgot about with trout. That helped alot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.