Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just moved to Colorado Springs for a 3 month work contract. I have been fishing my whole life, but never fly fished and would like to try it. Does anyone recommend any fly fishing guides and when would be the best time to go? Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Anglers Covey would be the closest guide service right in CO springs. You have some amazing trout fishing nearby. The Dream Stream, Eleven Mile Canyon, Wildcat Canyon, and Cheesman/Deckers are all sections of the South Platte River that are all pretty close. You also have the Arkansas River from Buena Vista all the way down to the Pueblo tailwater, all within a reasonable driving distance.

Fountain creek would be your closest trout water though. It pretty much runs right through CO Springs. You also have tons of small to medium sized streams, as well as backcountry lakes and ponds, all throughout the mountains near you.

Anytime is a good time to go. Colorado has many outstanding tailwaters that fish year round. However, the big browns and Kokanee will start running up the tribs in about three weeks. Chasing monster wild browns and Kokanee can be an awesome experience. The Dream Stream is by far the most well known for pre-spawn brown and koke fishing. I would highly recommend it, but it's very unforgiving and can get very crowded during the spawning runs.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yeah there are some great cuttyrainbrowns where fountain creek goes under the bridges down town...:thumb:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Cotter is right, go anywhere pretty much, the state has a ton of fishy water, especially once you get into some elevation.

Advice is free, but asking where to go and what time is for you to figure out. Go to your local fly shop and just ask. If they're local, they'll know how to guide you on fishing that particular piece of water. OR, go learn how to fish it yourself. The shop can set you up with the basic gear you need and have at it.

IMO, too many people looking for the easy way in these days, pay your dues and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Cotter is right, go anywhere pretty much, the state has a ton of fishy water, especially once you get into some elevation.

Advice is free, but asking where to go and what time is for you to figure out. Go to your local fly shop and just ask. If they're local, they'll know how to guide you on fishing that particular piece of water. OR, go learn how to fish it yourself. The shop can set you up with the basic gear you need and have at it.

IMO, too many people looking for the easy way in these days, pay your dues and enjoy the ride.
Kind of like the person who wrote this way back when - "Green Mtn Reservoir
Looking to do some fly fishing at/around the reservoir. New to the area, my first fishing season out west. I'd appreciate some info about good spots to fish, where they stock, etc. Thanks! "

Wait - that was you! It's not like the guy asked for GPS coordinates or anything.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Hello all,

I just moved to Colorado Springs for a 3 month work contract. I have been fishing my whole life, but never fly fished and would like to try it. Does anyone recommend any fly fishing guides and when would be the best time to go? Thanks
BassMan,

I keep thinking I'm going to fly fish some day, but never get around to it. I have some never used flies, fly rod, and accessories if you're interested. I can send pics. As for where to fish, 11-Mile Canyon rocked for me on a spinning rod this weekend, and the flows are manageable right now. And the benefit to fishing around the 11-Mile Canyon area, is that you can fish 11-Mile Reservoir, Spinney Reservoir, Antero Reservoir, the Dream Stream, or Rampart in a relatively close radius to each other.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Look up Juan Ramirez if you're in the Springs...

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have a bunch of canoes and kayaks if you'd like to meet up for some spin fishing. You could probably whip some wind if we take the hobies out.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts