Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved to Colorado last fall. This summer I am planning on doing weekend camping and fishing trips. I live in Denver and have noticed on the fishing atlas that there is a ton of fishing nearby for day trips as well.

My fishing experience is limited to some interisland fishing by hand line in Hawai'i (where I grew up) and fishing in the Puget Sound for salmon on spin gear. I am quite comfortable with spin gear so that's what I am thinking.

I primarily I want to fish for trout but maybe also some warm water stuff in Denver to pass time during the week.

I am looking at travel rods and am thinking the light version of:
http://www.basspro.com/St-Croix-Triumph-Travel-Spinning-Rods-with-Rod-Case/product/103661/
Should I be concerned with this rod breaking on crappie or bass stocked in a lot of places near Denver?

I like the idea of braided line with a mono leader and using small spin setups, or a bubble and fly on rivers and such.

I am not sure on which reel I want to go with, something in the $50-80.

Are there any places that people would recommend for getting started for both pond fishing and river fishing? I was thinking South Platte River on either side of Chatfield and Chatfield itself. (Though I don't have waders, should I get some?)

Any recommendations would be great. Ideas on where to go to get started fishing location wise, good lures and flies to start out with.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Do a forum search here on Clear Creek browns. Lots and lots of small brownies in that river. Fun for a half hour drive and nice scenery.

Welcome to Colorado, and you'll find the warm water fisheries are abundant, but not all that productive unless you're willing to put in the time and effort.

Lots of catfish in Colorado, if you care for that type of fishing. Trout are everywhere, they are BY FAR the most stocked fish in the state and you can find stocking reports online.

Crappie and bass are here, just not of the size and quantity you find elsewhere.

Put in the work and you'll find Colorado is a great fishing state.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I am looking at travel rods and am thinking the light version of:
http://www.basspro.com/St-Croix-Triumph-Travel-Spinning-Rods-with-Rod-Case/product/103661/
Should I be concerned with this rod breaking on crappie or bass stocked in a lot of places near Denver?
I doubt you will break it on those fish, but I would go with the medium-light model. It would be more versatile. I would probably also opt for a 2 piece instead of the 4-piece pack rod, unless you intend to do a lot of backpacking in the mountains. Cheaper, more sensitive and a bit lighter. Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I doubt you will break it on those fish, but I would go with the medium-light model. It would be more versatile. I would probably also opt for a 2 piece instead of the 4-piece pack rod, unless you intend to do a lot of backpacking in the mountains. Cheaper, more sensitive and a bit lighter. Welcome to the site!
I do plan to do a bunch of backpacking in the mountains this summer. Would a 2 piece get snagged while walking or should I not worry too much about that?

I do intend to focus mostly on trout in streams and ponds/lakes in the mountains. However, with so many stocked warm water ponds stuff so close to me I may break down and have some fun there. So the versatility of the medium light would probably be the right call. I am tempted to get a light rod 4 piece AND a medium rod 2 piece for in town just incase I do want to do some catfish/bass that would be a bit heavy for it.

Searched Clear Creek Browns: Right in Golden seems like a great spot to go do a little fishing. It seems like just about every creek/stream/pond has some fish in it.

I am pretty excited to get out there. When is too early? I would imagine clear creek is good right now but about when should the ice thaw in the mountains? I have no idea when the white stuff goes away coming from a tropical climate...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Welcome to the site. Go through the archives on this site and you can get lots of info.

Never to early to fish. Most of us fish year round be it ice fishing or finding open water or tail waters.

Run off depends on the year... typically I do not start looking to get high til june/july, but also depends on how hard you wanna work at getting to such places. Also depends on the winter the area you are looking to goto had.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Welcome to Colorado and CF. I wouldn't be to worried about breaking a rod bass fishing in this state ..Lol
Really tho if you're gunna get two rods, I'd recommend going with a light and a spin reel with 6# mono for trout & pan fish. And a Medium heavy 10-12# mono or 20-30# braid for bass, walleye, notherns, ex. I say that for the reason of weight rating for lures you're prolly gunna wanna throw for bass and eyes ex. just my $.02. Tight lines man.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Do a forum search here on Clear Creek browns. Lots and lots of small brownies in that river. Fun for a half hour drive and nice scenery.

Welcome to Colorado, and you'll find the warm water fisheries are abundant, but not all that productive unless you're willing to put in the time and effort.

Lots of catfish in Colorado, if you care for that type of fishing. Trout are everywhere, they are BY FAR the most stocked fish in the state and you can find stocking reports online.

Crappie and bass are here, just not of the size and quantity you find elsewhere.

Put in the work and you'll find Colorado is a great fishing state.
I wouldn't say there are tons of catfish here....I actually think its safe to say theres a better population of crappie and bass in Colorado than catfish. Given there are tons of places stocked with channels most don't have much size to them or the ones stocked don't survive

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hobiecat: Have you tried that rod by anychance? I was at Basspro fondling some rods and I noticed that the 4 piece st Croix was quite a bit stiffer than the 2 pieces. is that loss in sensitivity going with more segments going to be significant for trout or should I not worry?

JW: For the trout rig you would suggest straight mono rather than a braid/leader? I suppose that makes things easier as you don't have to tie the two lines together. Though I was thinking about using a swivel at that point. Is having the high visibility braid worth having for casting in streams and ponds?

Have any of you tried the Fenwick EliteTech River Runner series? That rod really felt good. But possibly a bit long to be backpacking with if its about 40 inches when in two pieces.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I haven't. Just looked like a good value. If you're talking about hiking in for trout...you really don't need anything fancy...some four to six pound mono..a handful of lures and a medium light rod and reel from walmart will do the trick. Maybe save some money by going that route and then getting a better rod and reel for your warm water fishing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are the fish in Clear Creek safe to eat? I know that in the past the river was polluted from the mines is this still the case or did the superfund cleanup work help substantially?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
If you fish above Hwy 6, they're all good. I've eaten them from below the Hwy 6/I-70 before, but for safety, eat from Idaho Spgs up to G-Town. Some great fishing in there, man... Small fish, STRONG fish, healthy current-fighters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have a recommended lure/color pattern for the area? I ended up getting a gold super duper with a gold tip in 1/16oz and some rooster tails, and a blue fox in 1/8 oz. I am stopping buy Sportsman's Warehouse and can grab a few more if you have any advice before I go out this weekend.

Also I ended up getting a 4 piece travel rod with 6lb test. That should be enough rod and a strong enough line right?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
You're set up, man. That's my favorite trout spot.

Go with gold panther martins on sunny days.

Go with brown-trout patterned or even BLACK blade Panthers on cloudy days.

There are alot of places up there to fish... The closer you get to Georgetown, the more private land you get into.

Don't drop your lure directly into a hole or eddy. Cast beyond and allow the lure to drift into and sink down into the hole or pool... Then SLOWLY bring it to life and accelerate your retrieve as you come across the pool... Sometimes I like to let the lure swing downstream into a riffle... You'd be surprised how many trout sit in those quick little runs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Am I going to need waders or will I be able to fish from the bank on rocks/boulders fairly effectively?

Is most of the the riverbank private along the river or will there be signs notifying if its private?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I wet wade. Shorts, old tennis shoes... Its the only way to really get into the thick of it on most parts... That said, there are many places that can be fished from shore, if need be. There is one really good spot for shore fishing... Its a raft rental and zipline place... Next to it is concrete paths along the creekside. Handicap access. Best shore fishing you'll find. Good runs and some deep pools. Fish there are smart though. They don't take most artificial stuff, unless you're a good nymph fisherman. Last time I was there, I was getting skunked, but there was a guy with a 2 nymph rig and a tiny splitshot fishing that big pool deep and he was catching em.

Private areas are pretty easily identified, mostly by the fences... That zipline place is private, but 20 feet down is public.

There is one main frontage road between Ifaho Spgs and GTown. Drive that and look for accessible shoreline.

No big fish in there to speak of... Mostly 6-9 inchers. My best was a 13" brown caught closer to Golden on a black and yellow spotted Meps spinner.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am just looking to have some fun fishing on my days off and enjoy the Colorado spring/summer. I don't need a trophy fish. Just looking for some that want to come and play, maybe take a big one home every once and a while.

However, when/if I go backpacking with friends I may end up keeping a few for dinner.

I am certainly not afraid of getting a little wet I just imagine that river is about 33 degrees from the snowmelt and I don't want to freeze my feet off.

On a side note, I was reading some of your posts about urban fishing. Do you have any places you would recommend here in town that would be easy to go to without a half hour drive up 6? No specific fish in mind just some to catch and throw back and practice my casting and accuracy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts