Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Do a forum search here on Clear Creek browns. Lots and lots of small brownies in that river. Fun for a half hour drive and nice scenery.

Welcome to Colorado, and you'll find the warm water fisheries are abundant, but not all that productive unless you're willing to put in the time and effort.

Lots of catfish in Colorado, if you care for that type of fishing. Trout are everywhere, they are BY FAR the most stocked fish in the state and you can find stocking reports online.

Crappie and bass are here, just not of the size and quantity you find elsewhere.

Put in the work and you'll find Colorado is a great fishing state.

· Registered
5,367 Posts
If you fish above Hwy 6, they're all good. I've eaten them from below the Hwy 6/I-70 before, but for safety, eat from Idaho Spgs up to G-Town. Some great fishing in there, man... Small fish, STRONG fish, healthy current-fighters.

· Registered
5,367 Posts
You're set up, man. That's my favorite trout spot.

Go with gold panther martins on sunny days.

Go with brown-trout patterned or even BLACK blade Panthers on cloudy days.

There are alot of places up there to fish... The closer you get to Georgetown, the more private land you get into.

Don't drop your lure directly into a hole or eddy. Cast beyond and allow the lure to drift into and sink down into the hole or pool... Then SLOWLY bring it to life and accelerate your retrieve as you come across the pool... Sometimes I like to let the lure swing downstream into a riffle... You'd be surprised how many trout sit in those quick little runs.

Good luck.

· Registered
5,367 Posts
I wet wade. Shorts, old tennis shoes... Its the only way to really get into the thick of it on most parts... That said, there are many places that can be fished from shore, if need be. There is one really good spot for shore fishing... Its a raft rental and zipline place... Next to it is concrete paths along the creekside. Handicap access. Best shore fishing you'll find. Good runs and some deep pools. Fish there are smart though. They don't take most artificial stuff, unless you're a good nymph fisherman. Last time I was there, I was getting skunked, but there was a guy with a 2 nymph rig and a tiny splitshot fishing that big pool deep and he was catching em.

Private areas are pretty easily identified, mostly by the fences... That zipline place is private, but 20 feet down is public.

There is one main frontage road between Ifaho Spgs and GTown. Drive that and look for accessible shoreline.

No big fish in there to speak of... Mostly 6-9 inchers. My best was a 13" brown caught closer to Golden on a black and yellow spotted Meps spinner.

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Not for trout. Other species, there are plenty of places... But posting warmwater species locations online is not a good idea.

Carp, anywhere... but Sloans and Washington Park seem to really produce bigger carp.

That's the best I can do for ya.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.