Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm a newb looking for a good place for some bait fishing somewhere in mid to late May of this year. Ideally, the closer to boulder/denver area, the better, but I'm willing to drive some distance for a good place. If some of you experts could chime in and help me out that'd be awesome. Even better, if you could please offer some details/experiences about the place (i.e. fish type, type of bait to use etc.) :).

Thanks in advance,

steve

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
airplane said:
Hi everyone!

I'm a newb looking for a good place for some bait fishing somewhere in mid to late May of this year. Ideally, the closer to boulder/denver area, the better, but I'm willing to drive some distance for a good place. If some of you experts could chime in and help me out that'd be awesome. Even better, if you could please offer some details/experiences about the place (i.e. fish type, type of bait to use etc.) :).

Thanks in advance,

steve
hey steve. we usually have really good luck at arvada res that time of year. they stock the lake heavily at the beginning of the year. i always try to make the walk to the north side of the lake. i seem to have WAYYYYYYYY better luck over there. and dont be afraid to throw some bait in the shallow areas. we seem to catch them there more than the deep areas

·
Registered
654 Posts
A fun place to go just to get into fish is St. Vrain State Park. I think if I were new to fishing, one of the keys would be consistent action, and these ponds are stocked regulary with trout, and also hold some warmwater fish that are usually willing to bite bait you throw out. They are near Longmont (I-25 Hwy 119). I take my kids there a lot b/c they just want to catch something and don't care about getting into monster fish. I also go there when I just need to get out for a few hours and catch some fish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FPF said:
hey steve. we usually have really good luck at arvada res that time of year. they stock the lake heavily at the beginning of the year. i always try to make the walk to the north side of the lake. i seem to have WAYYYYYYYY better luck over there. and dont be afraid to throw some bait in the shallow areas. we seem to catch them there more than the deep areas
Thanks for the advise, is this the welton reservoir? What kind of fish do you usually catch there? Trouts would be ideal since I have plenty of leftover bait for them :).

Alternatively, if I want to head into the mountains, is there a good place to go?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mountain Man said:
A fun place to go just to get into fish is St. Vrain State Park. I think if I were new to fishing, one of the keys would be consistent action, and these ponds are stocked regulary with trout, and also hold some warmwater fish that are usually willing to bite bait you throw out. They are near Longmont (I-25 Hwy 119). I take my kids there a lot b/c they just want to catch something and don't care about getting into monster fish. I also go there when I just need to get out for a few hours and catch some fish.
Lol I actually live right next the park, I fished there a couple of times before in the late summer but didn't have much luck. I can definitely give it another try, need to buy some mosquito sprays first though otherwise I'll get eaten alive.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
airplane said:
Thanks for the advise, is this the welton reservoir? What kind of fish do you usually catch there? Trouts would be ideal since I have plenty of leftover bait for them :).

Alternatively, if I want to head into the mountains, is there a good place to go?
no its not welton i dont think. its right accross from nacc (not sure how its spelled) stadium on 64th and hwy 93. ive just always know it as arvada reservoir. yes its mainly trout. if you want to go into the mountains we also have good luck at twin lakes next to the power plant (dont stray far from there), or turquose near the dam. its a bit of a drive to those lakes though. the scenery is well worth the 1hr and ahlf it takes to get there. hope that info helps

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
J.R.R. Trollin'Ken said:
Sloan's Lake...best in the city, hands down.
ya if you want to get your car broken into by some tweaker that just stumbled out of the st anthony's ER. they'll probably cut them selves on your window when they break it, bleed all over your car and infect you with hepatitis C. That disease is all you'll catch in that God-Forsaken HELL HOLE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts