Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

New to Fly Fishing

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  silicone boy 
G
#1 ·
I"m going to try to learn to fly fish starting tomorrow. Any advise would be helpfull. What kind of flies to bass and pan fish go after? Where is a good place to pratice to cast?
Again any advise would be really helpful.

Thanks
Scott

#2 ·
No place is as good as the lake to practice, but failing the water, a lawn that's in good shape and cut short always works. Guides I've worked with would always tie a piece of yarn to the leader en lieu of a fly so that you don't end up with hooks in yourself (or trees, or dogs, or penguins...). The grass give he tension you need w/o completely destroying your $60+ line.
That said, I like to at least hav a chance to catch fish while I'm practicing, so i try to find some water...
As far as some basic flies for bass and panfish, I really like Sneaky Pete's (aka cork-bodied slider) in various sizes with rubber legs. I've even caught channel cats on these when there's grasshoppers on the water. Smaller poppers have always worked well for me as well. Around here I also like flies that imitate crayfish although these take a good bit of practice and patience to cast and fish effectively. Simple rabbit strips can be worked like plastic worms around cover and weed edges. For the lakes with alot of shad in them, I always keep some white bucktail streamers around with some a little green and flashabou (mylar) in them. Hooking a schoolie white bass or wiper on a fly is a trip.
Lake Mary out at the Arsenal is a good place to get a feel for the flies, the water is generally clear, you can get some clear room to cast and there're a goodmany 1-2 pound bass in there to keep things interesting. Stay with it, it's a fun, challenging twist on fishing, good luck

#4 ·
If you live in the Denver area, then Ward road ponds is a great place as one idea. What you really need is a pond chucked full of bluegill. They are always willing to oblige a bite at just about anything that swims. Get yourself some space behind you, and try and go in the morning or when the wind is low to start as that is just another thing to have to worry about. Another reason it helps to start on bluegill is they let you practice from getting a fish on, to reel in your slack line that you had out for false casts, and then fight the fish on the reel. This will not be important for a 5 inch fish, but when you put a 15 inch bass on the line you will be glad it was not your first time. I hope your adventure went well and if you have any questions at all, there are lots of us here to help. VolFan's recommendations about the lawn are nice to because you will not always be able to run to the lake but your wrist and arm need the strengthening, and your body needs to get use to the timing of the line. You have to wait for the line to load up pressure on your back cast for example, before you can swing backforward, otherwise you will just end up with a big loop instead of a slingshot affect. And no matter what, HAVE FUN!
Craig

#5 ·
Are there a lot of gills in Ward? I've heard a lot of people saying how they often get skunked there, but that's for bass. I love bluegills occasionally and I'm always looking for ponds that have a lot of them. Prospect Park Ponds nearby seems to have a declining population of them.

#6 ·
Silicone boy,
The last time I was there was 2 years ago, but I can not imagine it changed with the catch and release policy there. When entering the pond from the north west parking lot, go down the stairs and walkway down to the lake and head east. There is a peninsula like sand bar that sticks out aways 50 west of the east end of the lake. I stand on that peninsula and wade out just a wee bit in summer to get my ankles wet. From there, it is an extensive flat with deeper water out. You can fish the whole flat with good success. Use to take kids that had not fished before there, for the reliable action and close to home and Dairy Queen for after fishing treats.
Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.